Drive light and Ethernet activity

  • bobechan1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
      Since installing the new WSJT7 version I have continuous drive
      activity and ethernet activity when running the program. Is something
      being sent to or received from the internet when the program is running?

      73,
      N4AU/Bobby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
        Hi Bobby,

        Yes, on some computers -- not all, it seems -- the
        disk-activity LED flashes when WSJT 7 does a "flush" on a
        file connected to the disk -- even if nothing is read or
        written. The "flush" statement was mistakenly placed inside
        a loop, rather than after the end of a loop. It's harmless
        ... but it will be fixed in the next release.

        WSJT 7 has no ethernet hooks at all. If you are seeing
        ethernet activity, it's not caused by WSJT.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        bobechan1 wrote:
        > Since installing the new WSJT7 version I have continuous drive
        > activity and ethernet activity when running the program. Is something
        > being sent to or received from the internet when the program is running?
        >
        > 73,
        > N4AU/Bobby
      • David Ackrill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
          bobechan1 wrote:
          > Since installing the new WSJT7 version I have continuous drive
          > activity and ethernet activity when running the program. Is something
          > being sent to or received from the internet when the program is running?

          The drive activity has been mentioned by others, but I'm not seeing any
          unusual internet traffic here. The only thing that is accessing the
          internet for WSJT, for me, is the Reverse Beacon program.

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • observer35
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
            Hello Bobby and others,

            There are at least 6 users with WinXP, Win2000, Win98SE with the
            drive light problem.

            All have "SAVE" in No

            Here I have 2 XP machines and they show that as soon as WSJT7 is
            loaded in WSJT65A, JT2 or WSPR-QSO mode, the hard drive is being
            addressed full time. Windows Vista does not seem to do this.

            The drive light is on, full intensity, I hear the drive as in writing
            files.
            I even have had an error message at one time telling me that the
            program could not open the file in question. ( .wav )

            WSJT7 on my machine writes to the RxWav subdirectory in your program
            directory.

            The files are recordings I think as the one, included with the program
            W8WN_........wav. and are 2.4 MB each. Running overnight with WSJT7 in
            monitor ON or not, will produce a number of these files. I have not
            really looked into this but it appears if one file is full or
            finished, another one is opened, they are time stamped.

            Even if the files are deleted, and one checks in the subdirectory
            there is another one. They come with names like VK2AWD_......wav or
            mon_........wav.

            Under "File" there is a pull down menu where you can select
            "Delete all files in RxWav directory"

            Users have told me that they will not use WSJT7 for this reason.
            This is a shame.

            The machines also show as soon as WSJT7 is loaded, a cpu load
            between 10 and 15 % in RX mode, In TX mode, this is lower.

            The previous WSPR v07 version is showing here less than 1 % cpu

            We should remember that this is a beta version. And K1JT has limited
            time most likely as many of us do.

            Most of us like to use WSJTxx and it has been a lot of fun for me at
            least, during the last 16 months.

            I have made some 28 QSO's in WSPR-QSO mode so far with as longest DX,
            7L4IOU on 30 m and was "reported" for 2 hours in VK with 1 W output.
            last night, quite nice in spite of the hard drive writing!

            73 Rein W6SZ