USB -> RS232 adapter for Vista 64bit?

  • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2008
      My new LapTop (Zepto 6625WD), like most new ones, has no RS232 port, so,
      in order to PTT my radio (FT-847 - no VOX!), I need an USB to RS232
      adapter. The one I have (Belkin F5U103V) has no Vista 64bit support (no
      drivers available and none planned that I know of). Anybody in similar
      jam with a tested solution? It wouldn't hurt if was also supported by
      Ubuntu Linux either.

      --
      Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

      ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
      email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...
      http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
      Ph. +45 4619 3239
      Snailmail:
      Peter Frenning
      Ternevej 23
      DK-4130 Viby Sj.
      Denmark
      ***********************************
    • GeorgeF.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2008
        At 01:06 PM 5/9/2008 +0200, you wrote:
        >My new LapTop (Zepto 6625WD), like most new ones, has no RS232 port, so,
        >in order to PTT my radio (FT-847 - no VOX!), I need an USB to RS232
        >adapter. The one I have (Belkin F5U103V) has no Vista 64bit support (no
        >drivers available and none planned that I know of). Anybody in similar
        >jam with a tested solution? It wouldn't hurt if was also supported by
        >Ubuntu Linux either.

        Check out the Sabrent SBT-USC1K
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156003

        I've been using it on both XP and Vista computers. I don't know if it
        officially supports Vista or not. However when I got my new Vista Computer
        it was a true plug and play, worked first time. I use it for rig control,
        scanner programming and for my a weather station. Have had no problems
        with it.

        I haven't tested it for WSJT or PSK/RTTY as I have a SignaLink USB
        interface for that.

        George - KI4FIA
        http://www.MilAirComms.com/shack.html
      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2008
          "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@...> writes:

          > My new LapTop (Zepto 6625WD), like most new ones, has no RS232 port, so,
          > in order to PTT my radio (FT-847 - no VOX!), I need an USB to RS232
          > adapter. The one I have (Belkin F5U103V) has no Vista 64bit support (no
          > drivers available and none planned that I know of). Anybody in similar
          > jam with a tested solution? It wouldn't hurt if was also supported by
          > Ubuntu Linux either.

          The ATEN UC232A (based on Prolific PL-2303 chip) does have Vista drivers.

          <http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pid=2005022316346005>

          I have one and, although I don't use Vista, it works fine with XP.

          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
          Bloomington, Indiana US