6m Portable Antenna Choice

  • peppertekie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
      I have seen notes of portable stations working WSJT successfully with
      loops, moxons, and beams. What I am interested in, is where is the
      point of diminishing returns? Will the difference between a 6 and 10
      foot boom be worth it? Will I suffer most with a smaller beamwidth,
      lower gain, or unwieldy boom length? This is a question of the best
      tool for the job not necessarily a specific brand or model.

      I'm considering between:
      Loop
      Moxon
      3 element yagi, 6 ft. boom
      4 element yagi, 10 ft. boom

      Thanks to all the portable and home ops in advance.
      Matthew

      Answers to possible questions for clarification:
      All of my WSTJT will be portable (not rover).
      Antenna will be no more then 20 feet AGL.
      I will be running my 847 barefoot.
    • Thomas Trent
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
        Bang for the buck, you can't beat a 3 element yagi. Had a "Hilltopper"
        for years until I loaned it to somebody, who promptly destroyed it!
        Worked tons of DX with it from portable locations.

        Tom K7ZL

        On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:59 +0000, peppertekie wrote:
        > I have seen notes of portable stations working WSJT successfully with
        > loops, moxons, and beams. What I am interested in, is where is the
        > point of diminishing returns? Will the difference between a 6 and 10
        > foot boom be worth it? Will I suffer most with a smaller beamwidth,
        > lower gain, or unwieldy boom length? This is a question of the best
        > tool for the job not necessarily a specific brand or model.
        >
        > I'm considering between:
        > Loop
        > Moxon
        > 3 element yagi, 6 ft. boom
        > 4 element yagi, 10 ft. boom
        >
        > Thanks to all the portable and home ops in advance.
        > Matthew
        >
        > Answers to possible questions for clarification:
        > All of my WSTJT will be portable (not rover).
        > Antenna will be no more then 20 feet AGL.
        > I will be running my 847 barefoot.

      • Doug Wetzel
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
          I have to agree with Tom..I designed and built a 3 el yagi out of 1/2" EMT conduit last summer, put it up about 25', and have had a blast on MS with 10 whole watts up until the acquisition of a Mirage 1015 about 6 weeks ago.  The boom on mine is about 8' long, split driven element with beta match.  Since you are starting out with 100 w, you'll do just fine with 3 el.

          Put it up and join us!

          Doug
          K7IP

          Bang for the buck, you can't beat a 3 element yagi. Had a "Hilltopper"
          for years until I loaned it to somebody, who promptly destroyed it!
          Worked tons of DX with it from portable locations.

          Tom K7ZL

          On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:59 +0000, peppertekie wrote:
          > I have seen notes of portable stations working WSJT successfully with
          > loops, moxons, and beams. What I am interested in, is where is the
          > point of diminishing returns? Will the difference between a 6 and 10
          > foot boom be worth it? Will I suffer most with a smaller beamwidth,
          > lower gain, or unwieldy boom length? This is a question of the best
          > tool for the job not necessarily a specific brand or model.
          >
          > I'm considering between:
          > Loop
          > Moxon
          > 3 element yagi, 6 ft. boom
          > 4 element yagi, 10 ft. boom
          >
          > Thanks to all the portable and home ops in advance.
          > Matthew
          >
          > Answers to possible questions for clarification:
          > All of my WSTJT will be portable (not rover).
          > Antenna will be no more then 20 feet AGL.
          > I will be running my 847 barefoot.

        • john flinn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2008
            I have used a Moxon, full wave loop and 3 el beam for 6 meter meteor scatter
            and my vote would go for the 3 El Yagi. I am currently using a 40 meter
            full size loop which works quite well but of course would be a bit awkward
            for portabe operation.
            Have fun
            73 John W9SE