Alternate site when PJ is down?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
      All, When PJ is down ( a resource many of us use on a very regular
      basis), is there an alternate site that is used? If not, I threw one
      together this AM... it is not intended to (nor can it) replace PJ - I
      have no intention of that, but can be used when the resource we depend
      on goes down... it is pretty crude for what we are used to, but...
      it is at

      www.radiosportonline.com/HSMS

      Thanks,

      - Matt, WE1H
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
        Matt, I looked at your site "The HSMS Chat Zone by RadioSportOnline". We do
        need to establish a backup site we all migrate to when PJ is down.

        There is an alternate site listed on the WSJTGROUP WebPage
        http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/ . That site is
        at http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com/index.html VHF & UP Online Schedule. This site
        is managed by AA1YN. It is an excellent site which almost perfectly
        duplicates PJ; however most operators don't know about it and when PJ is
        down only a few have migrated to it.

        I agree we need an alternate site that is well known and used when PJ is
        down. I can list the new site on the WSJTGROUP webpage with your permission
        ... two alternates should be enough. hi

        What do other Ping Jockie users think?

        Tip
        WA5UFH

        > All, When PJ is down ( a resource many of us use on a very regular
        > basis), is there an alternate site that is used? If not, I threw one
        > together this AM... it is not intended to (nor can it) replace PJ - I
        > have no intention of that, but can be used when the resource we depend
        > on goes down... it is pretty crude for what we are used to, but...
        > it is at
        >
        > www.radiosportonline.com/HSMS
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > - Matt, WE1H

        > Lagging Indicator/Activity
        > :http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/randy_tipton/Test%20(Activity%20Database)/Meteor_Scatter_Reports
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill W5WVO
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
          Tip WA5UFH wrote,

          > ...two alternates should be enough. hi

          Kudos to Matt for taking the initiative to help out!  But I think TWO alternate sites is one too many. The whole idea is that everybody hangs out on one place; there are few enough of us as it is! :-)

          I suggest, since the AA1YN site is fully functional, duplicates all the PJ functions, and predates the most recent (current, as of this hour) PJ outage, that efforts be put forth to promote the existence of this site. A regularly occurring bulletin on PJ would be the best way to do that, IMO, in addition to notices posted on other boards.

          Bill W5WVO
          DM65

          > All, When PJ is down ( a resource many of us use on a very regular
          > basis), is there an alternate site that is used? If not, I threw one
          > together this AM... it is not intended to (nor can it) replace PJ - I
          > have no intention of that, but can be used when the resource we depend
          > on goes down... it is pretty crude for what we are used to, but...
          > it is at
          >
          > www.radiosportonlin e.com/HSMS
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > - Matt, WE1H

          > Activity Periods http://www.ykc. com/wa5ufh/
          > NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc. com/wa5ufh/ Rally/NAHSMS. htm
          > Lagging Indicator/Activity
          > :http://baseportal. com/cgi-bin/ baseportal. pl?htx=/randy_ tipton/Test% 20(Activity%20Databas e)/Meteor_ Scatter_Reports
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jim Forsyth
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
            I agree 100%.

            Jim, AF6O

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
              I support that 100% as well.. as well as the need to publicize and
              link to the AA1YN site. I will, however, leave my site up, in the
              most unlikely event that both PJ and the AA1YN site go down, we will
              have something to work with.

              See you on the bands!

              - Matt, WE1H
              Grand Isle, VT

              <snip>
              I suggest, since the AA1YN site is fully functional, duplicates all
              the PJ functions, and predates the most recent (current, as of this
              hour) PJ outage, that efforts be put forth to promote the existence
              of this site. A regularly occurring bulletin on PJ would be the best
              way to do that, IMO, in addition to notices posted on other boards.

              Bill W5WVO
              DM65
            • Chris Cox, N0UK
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                Sorry for the outage. The power distribution unit at the data centre
                failed. Service was restored at 1125 CDT yesterday (Sunday).

                73 Chris Cox, N0UK email: chrisc@... or chrisc@...
                or chris@...
                Home Page: http://WWW.BritishCarAndDriver.Com http://www.pingjockey.net

                Don't Believe Everything You Think.
              • Rick Graham
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                  To tell you the honest truth, I forgot about the AA1YN site. What if
                  one forgets thier user/pw on the AA1YN. I know that his was a bit more
                  strict as far as authentication. I also appreciate the efforts of Matt.
                  One thing that that kind of irks me with PJ is that 99% of the time,
                  I'm typing into the box and the dern thing refreshes. So I have
                  re-re-type my stuff in. Matt's site doesn't do that so I'm glad for
                  that! :)

                  73 DE AI3W, Rick
                  FM19pw

                  Now to get rrrrrrrready for the 144MHz Sprints!