WSJT - Just got started and have a question

  • dl4yao
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2002
      Hello friends,

      I just got started in WSJT. After some trying I was able to
      sucessfully receive a few pings (?).

      I copied OZ/DJ8MS from JO45 here nr Munich (JN58), the distance was
      abt 850 km.

      Also saw IK0BZY (abt 750km) on my screen, but here is the "problem":

      Italy is exactly south from here, BUT my antenna was beaming NW.
      The Ant is a F9FT 9 Ele, no pre-amp, abt 10m RG213 Coax.

      Is there something like an indirect path possible in MS, or would
      it be possible that it was not MS but some other mode of propagation.

      Usually that distance is out of reach for me, so I wonder what
      propagation this was.

      Thanks and 73 de
      Chris, DL4YAO
    • Arthur Jackson
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2002
        Hi Chris,

        I am not a big user of WSJT, but I believe you will
        always be surprised what you can hear using it.

        In my opinion, you JUST copied the signal off the back
        end lobe of your beam.

        I spend a lot of time monitoring. I am always amazed
        how well and how different signals are picked up. A
        moderate gain yagi produces fabulous results. Too much
        gain can lower the reflection possibilities.

        Here at my QTH, I pick up FSK441 signals well as much
        as 20 degrees off the sending station. On many
        occasions, I have picked up backscatter signals from
        others 300-500 kilometers away. That really amazes me.
        The next major shower, I intend to monitor that more
        closely.

        Enjoy. I think you always will be surprised. Have fun.

        Art KA5DWI
        Fort Worth, Texas

        http://mail.yahoo.com/