WSPR, Multiple Signal Decode

  • Joseph A. Counsil
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 3:33 PM
      Greetings,

      Joe (K1JT), or anyone else who can answer...

      With all the WSPR activity, I'm regularly seeing multiple stations on
      the waterfall on 30m. I'm curious about how WSPR handles multiple
      stations. It does not appear to be decoding any more than one at a
      time. Is that correct? If so, how does WSPR decide which one to
      decode? Will WSPR be able to decode multiple stations in the future,
      if it can not do so now?

      I ask these questions more out of curiosity than any particular
      concern. Meanwhile, having great fun with this - thanks Joe!

      73,
      -Joe-
    • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 4:03 PM
        I have, on several occasions, seen WSPR decode multiple signals in the
        same period...

        --

        Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

        ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
        email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...
        http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
        Ph. +45 4619 3239
        Snailmail:
        Peter Frenning
        Ternevej 23
        DK-4130 Viby Sj.
        Denmark
        ***********************************
      • Joseph A. Counsil
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 4:57 PM
          Peter,

          I just looked back through my logs more carefully, and I see instances
          of multiple decodes during the same period. I overlooked that before.

          I also see several instances of multiple lines in the file during the
          same cycle as if there was a decode, but some with no
          callsign/grid/power. It seems that these occur more often when there
          are several signals on the waterfall. Perhaps they have difficulty
          decoding due to mutual QRM? Here is an example from just a few
          minutes ago:

          080402 2348 7 -11 -0.9 10.140113 WB2JEP FM29 30
          080402 2348 1 -23 4.1 10.140128
          080402 2348 1 -11 1.1 10.140179 VE1RG FN76 30
          080402 2348 2 -13 -0.5 10.140202 VE1VDM FN85 25

          On this one, I see five very nice, clear traces in the waterfall, each
          separated by 10 Hz or more from each other.

          Thanks for telling me about your multiple decodes Peter. I stand
          corrected on that point.

          73,
          -Joe-

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]"