Re: [wsjtgroup] backscatter

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2003
      GE David and the group- here is my method. Get a copy of GCMWin23
      (great circle map) - available from QRZ or AMSAT, can't remember which
      off hand. Set program up with your qth as center. For this purpose set
      the range to about 600 miles and turn on grids and subgrids and labels
      overlay. Also set some range circles, say at 100 miles intervals. Best
      distance for scatter for 6m is going to be about 400-500 miles. Spot as
      close as you can the other station and using a 400 or 500 mile radius,
      use a drafting/drawing compass and draw an arc from their location that
      intercepts the same range circle around you. - will actually be to
      points, one on either side of the direct path between your qth and the
      other station's qth. I usually try to pick a grid center or edge for
      convenience - usually close enough. Take a ruler and draw line your qth
      (center) to the beam heading compass rose on outside of map through the
      intercept point and you have your bearing. Tell the other station what
      grid to point to and they can substitute that in for your gird in WSJT
      and they will have their heading.

      Have worked two close in grids and come close on two more - all within
      200 miles of me and no sign at all of any direct path on qso. I'm
      digging out some old basic code I wrote years ago and going to try to
      revamp it to allow entry of two locations and have it give the two
      possible intercept points- probably at 400 and 500 miles. Will let
      group know when I get it done and refresher course in spherical
      trig!(back burner project)

      Good Luck - Bruce, KD5IUG in EM42