Re: Grid expedition to DM75

  • mikeh39
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2003
      The wind was brutal! Despite 50 mph gusts and a high wind advisory
      for most of the state, the grid expedition went on as scheduled.
      This was a case of EXTREME rovering, as the dirt and debris pounded
      the car, making it rock like the S.S. Minnow. My position was high
      and very exposed - which of course, is what makes it a good operating
      spot in the first place. It also gave me an excellent view of the
      vast eastern New Mexico prairie and the towering clouds of dust
      billowing up as far as the eye could see.

      Getting the antennas up was a challenge, but the primary difficulty
      was dealing with an SWR that shot skyward when the sked with WO9S
      started. This was eventually traced to blowing dirt that got into a
      coax connector during setup. At the time I didn't know what was
      going on, but I was able to get the SWR back to normal by taking the
      array down and switching to one antenna. So I was already down about
      2 dB. The brick amp died next; not sure what happened. I got back
      on the air several anxious minutes later running just the transceiver
      with 40 Watts.

      I was out there more than 4 hours and the tempest never really
      subsided. The big winner of the day was the new WonderPole push-up
      mast, which bent a lot but never broke. Here's the scorecard:

      WO9S: copied both calls + report on one long ping
      W5SNX: nothing heard
      KR7O: completed QSO in about 50 minutes
      WA5UFH: completed QSO in about 20 minutes
      N0UK: copied both calls

      It's hard to say with any certainty, but it didn't appear the ping
      rate was anything out of the ordinary. I've experienced much, much
      better conditions throughout last fall when I first started in HSMS.

      Mike WB2FKO
      Albuquerque