RE: [wsjtgroup] Sound card (or WSJT?) going walkabout

  • Russ K2TXB
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Joe. I have no doubt that you are correct for most cases, but in my case it really was a problem.  The numbers would be stable for up to 20 minutes and then they would take off and get worse and worse until the whole thing would stop working.  I was running two computers side by side and this one would fail to decode what the laptop was getting correctly (From the same receiver).  I would have to reboot the computer and then it would work ok again for a while.  (I recall one MS contest where I must have rebooted the computer 20 times!)  I did have D4 running and had it set to correct the time every 15 seconds, because the PC clock would sometimes jump by several minutes.  It never did this except when running WSJT which of course exercises the sound card a lot.  When I replaced the sound card the problem went away.

      I don't claim to understand what was causing the clock jump or the sound card drift, bit it seems clear they were related and acerbated by the usage of WSJT.

      73, Russ K2TXB

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        Just to add one more anecdote to the trail of anecdotal "evidence", before I installed the VIA Vinyl sound card that was the subject of my original query in this thread, the computer had an old Sound Blaster card in it. When running WSJT, the RX sample clock correction would stabilize at some reasonable number and stay there, but the TX clock would never stabilize -- it would wander all over the place and never settle down at all. This did cause a problem, because my transmissions were mostly undecodable using this card. Replacing that sound card with the VIA cured the problem, but introduced the symptom of both the RX and TX correction factors wandering intermittently.

        Interestingly, the SB card with the bad TX had a rock-stable RX which never "went walkabout", much as Joe said in his earlier post -- some card/driver combinations can be good on RX, poor on TX, or vice-versa.

        Bill W5WVO

        Bill W5WVO wrote:
        > Something happens regularly in my WSJT installation that disturbs me:
        >
        > Once WSJT has been running for a minute, the RX and TX clock
        > variance values stabilize around 1.0069, and I dutifully entered
        > those numbers into the WSJT setup. Most of the time, the
        > numbers stay put, +/- 0.0002. But every once in a while, maybe
        > every ten or fifteen minutes, the numbers in the status bar
        > "go walkabout", climbing to 1.0090+ over the space of five or
        > ten seconds, and then drifting back down to 1.0069 over the
        > next five or ten seconds. Or sometimes they will go the other
        > way, by about the same amount. It has nothing to do with
        > whether or not I'm transmitting; it's completely asynchronous
        > to that.
        >
        > Is this my sound card misbehaving? It is an inexpensive VIA
        > Vinyl PCI bus card running under Win2KPro on an AMD Athlon
        > dual-processor board. Or is this kind of thing sorta "normal"?
        > I shouldn't have thought so. If it is the sound card, any
        > recommendations for a better one that is known to be stable?
        >
        > Bill W5WVO

      • Bill W5WVO
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          Related question: Most sound cards, as Joe pointed out, have a base sample clock rate of 48 kHz. Premium sound cards run at 96 kHz or even 192 kHz. Is there any advantage gained (with WSJT) running a premium sound card with a higher sample rate and possibly with higher-quality components, more accurate tolerances, better-written drivers etc.? Is perceived "high-end-ness" correlate to "overall goodness" pretty much, or do you just have to know which sounds cards are good, irrespective of price or market perception?

          Bill W5WVO wrote:
          > Something happens regularly in my WSJT installation that disturbs me:
          >
          > Once WSJT has been running for a minute, the RX and TX clock
          > variance values stabilize around 1.0069, and I dutifully entered
          > those numbers into the WSJT setup. Most of the time, the
          > numbers stay put, +/- 0.0002. But every once in a while, maybe
          > every ten or fifteen minutes, the numbers in the status bar
          > "go walkabout", climbing to 1.0090+ over the space of five or
          > ten seconds, and then drifting back down to 1.0069 over the
          > next five or ten seconds. Or sometimes they will go the other
          > way, by about the same amount. It has nothing to do with
          > whether or not I'm transmitting; it's completely asynchronous
          > to that.
          >
          > Is this my sound card misbehaving? It is an inexpensive VIA
          > Vinyl PCI bus card running under Win2KPro on an AMD Athlon
          > dual-processor board. Or is this kind of thing sorta "normal"?
          > I shouldn't have thought so. If it is the sound card, any
          > recommendations for a better one that is known to be stable?
          >
          > Bill W5WVO

        • Dave hartzell
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
            Hi Joe,

            Question:

            Once I enter the RateIn and RateOut values, will I see the real-time
            counters on the main screen adjust to 1.0000? I see mine still at
            0.9968 and 1.0000. Decodes seem OK, so I'm guessing this is just an
            internal calculation, with no real-time update?

            On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:
            > It's ridiculous: quite often, I see drivers that use good code on output and
            > lousy code on input, or vice-versa.

            Yep, that's what I see with "premium" sound card...the input is bad,
            the output is good.

            Thanks and 73,

            Dave
            n0tgd
          • Bill W5WVO
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
              The sample rate values shown on-screen in the status bar are real-time calculations and do not "reset" to 1.0000 after the correction factor is entered in Setup.

              Bill W5WVO

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
                Dave hartzell wrote:
                > Hi Joe,
                >
                > Question:
                >
                > Once I enter the RateIn and RateOut values, will I see the real-time
                > counters on the main screen adjust to 1.0000? I see mine still at
                > 0.9968 and 1.0000. Decodes seem OK, so I'm guessing this is just an
                > internal calculation, with no real-time update?

                Correct.

                -- Joe, k1JT