100 Attempts...Thanks W5SNX & K1JT

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2003

      Today I worked W5SNX on FSK441, JT6M and JT44. What makes this special is on meteor scatter attempts with W5SNX this is our 100th and 101st attempts. No, we didn’t complete every time since we started in July 20,2000. We actually started working Hellscatter first until the release of WSJT. I still remember the “nay-Sayers” saying digital would not work and that only HSCW would be reliable. That was then, now I never see requests for HSCW qso’s. I made three contacts using HSCW after getting my registration number. It no longer even works on my Windows XP OS. I think HSCW would have been fun but I got into HSMS too late. Thanks to all those who took the time to promote HSMS with the older applications and devices.

      Dick and I completed 80% of our two meter attempts and 78% of our six meter attempts. The average completion time on two meters was 28 minutes and 13 minutes on six. Every attempt was counted, none were excluded. Our longest were 1:25 and 00:49 for two and six meters respectably.  We also have worked numerous times using the old JT43 and JT44 modes but I don’t keep accurate records on those modes. But I do know that if we take the time, we can complete using JT44 at 813 miles almost any day of the year using six meters.

      So thanks to Dick, who is always willing to run and to Joe (K1JT) whose software has revolutionized meteor scatter, weak signal work and EME. Dick, I hope we both have many more qso’s left in us.

      FYI

      Tip

      WA5UFH

      Randy Tipton WA5UFH (Tip)