Orthogonal polarization???

  • billdz.geo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      I read this on the M2 website about their 2MXP20
      antenna:

      "This antenna is remarkable in that the stacking gain
      for four antennas can exceed 6 dB. Even using a single
      Horizontal/Vertical relay, You have a moonbounce
      package that can outperform larger, linear arrays.
      Additional relay switching providing 4 different types
      of discrete receiving polarizations: Horizontal,
      Vertical, Right Orthogonal, and left Orthogonal bring
      you near peak on all signals. Losses from spatial
      polarity and Faraday rotation virtually disappear. EME
      reliability approaches 100%."

      I understand the part about the single relay to switch
      from horizontal to vertical. But I don't understand
      how additional relays can produce orthogonal
      polarization, as the antenna only has horizontal and
      vertical elements. Is it some sort of phasing? Could
      someone explain how to do this or cite me to a web
      article? How complicated is it and is it worth doing?

      Thanks and 73, Bill NZ5N
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hi Bill,

        You can get right or left orthogonal polarization by introducing a 90 deg phase shift to either the vertical or horizontal antennas.
        Just add another relay to switch in a 1/4 wave (90 deg) piece of transmission line.

        Hope this helps.

        73,

        Barry VE3CDX/W7

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
          http://www.sportscliche.com/wb2fko/w07/winter_2007.html

          Thank you to those who submitted logs. We'll do it again next December.

          Mike WB2FKO