Re: [wsjtgroup] US Government uses MS propagation for remote sensors

  • Dave hartzell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
      I have a paper somewhere (that I can't find now) describing the SNOTEL
      network. Its actually quite interesting.

      From memory (and a little googling), I recall that the sensing nodes
      use omidirectional antennas and transmit about 100 watts, and the
      master nodes use 1500 watts via directional antennas to enable 2-way
      communications. I wonder what FEC and/or ACKs they need and how many
      repeats! I think they're using FSK as well. SNOTEL uses 40.530 and
      41.530 MHz, but I'm not sure which frequency is paired with the master
      nodes or the remote nodes.

      The paper to which I'm referring is a few years old, but describes
      about 5-6 meteor scatter networks. There might actually be other
      meteor burst networks in operation today. The military was very
      interested in the technology, and a few companies (Radyne?) have (or
      had) commercial products for it.

      There are a few books on meteor burst communications. Here is one
      that I have been trying to get, without the high price, of course!
      ;-)

      http://www.amazon.com/Meteor-Burst-Communications-Theory-Practice/dp/0471522120/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199554868&sr=8-2

      A few months ago I posted a note to this group asking about setting up
      a beacon network, but there might already be such a thing that would
      be useful to us (SNOTEL)...

      73,
      Dave
      n0tgd