Re: [wsjtgroup] US Government uses MS propagation for remote sensors

  • Steve McDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
      Larry - they are on 40.529.3. Likely they are really on 40.530 but I listen
      to them with my rx in the usb mode. You can hear the master stations and the
      slaves pinging data to each other on meteors nicely here in the PNW.

      Steve / VE7SL

      Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm

      > Anybody know what frequency this system operates on? I seem to recall
      something like this operating around 50 MHz but can't remember any details
      now. It would be nice to be able to monitor.

      > Larry - W7IUV
      > DN07dg
      > http://w7iuv.com
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
        Steve,

        Listened last night and this morning for a while. Can hear pings every
        few seconds and sounds almost like FSK441. This might prove to be a good
        indicator of meteor activity. would be nice to have software that would
        at least decode the station ID/location.

        Larry

        Larry - W7IUV
        DN07dg
        http://w7iuv.com

        Steve McDonald wrote:
        > Larry - they are on 40.529.3. Likely they are really on 40.530 but I listen
        > to them with my rx in the usb mode. You can hear the master stations and the
        > slaves pinging data to each other on meteors nicely here in the PNW.
        >
        > Steve / VE7SL

      • Dave hartzell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
          I have a paper somewhere (that I can't find now) describing the SNOTEL
          network. Its actually quite interesting.

          From memory (and a little googling), I recall that the sensing nodes
          use omidirectional antennas and transmit about 100 watts, and the
          master nodes use 1500 watts via directional antennas to enable 2-way
          communications. I wonder what FEC and/or ACKs they need and how many
          repeats! I think they're using FSK as well. SNOTEL uses 40.530 and
          41.530 MHz, but I'm not sure which frequency is paired with the master
          nodes or the remote nodes.

          The paper to which I'm referring is a few years old, but describes
          about 5-6 meteor scatter networks. There might actually be other
          meteor burst networks in operation today. The military was very
          interested in the technology, and a few companies (Radyne?) have (or
          had) commercial products for it.

          There are a few books on meteor burst communications. Here is one
          that I have been trying to get, without the high price, of course!
          ;-)

          http://www.amazon.com/Meteor-Burst-Communications-Theory-Practice/dp/0471522120/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199554868&sr=8-2

          A few months ago I posted a note to this group asking about setting up
          a beacon network, but there might already be such a thing that would
          be useful to us (SNOTEL)...

          73,
          Dave
          n0tgd