RE: [wsjtgroup] Group Activities & my comments on calling CQ ...

  • Barry Garratt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi Tip,

      Happy New Year to you and yours as well as to all the other members of the group.

      I think your description of how to call CQ and working the offset method was just fine.

      It may seem cumbersome to some at first but once you get used to it it is quite easy
      and really is no different to working DX on HF where they say they are listening up and
      tell where they are listening.

      The only difference with MS that I've experienced with this method is that I may have
      seen the CQ and gotten enough of the call to know who is calling but did not decode
      the U or D so don't realize at first that the calling station is operating split.

      I've wasted a few sequences until I see what is really going on. I also have made it a
      habit to toggle back and forth between the calling frequency and the offset frequency
      to see if I am being heard or is the station still calling CQ.

      When the rocks are scarce it can a while before either a contact is made or the calling
      station quits calling CQ.

      I noticed during the contest that even though I would specify U or D that stations
      would call me on the calling freq so it was faster to work them there than try
      and move them.

      I also make it a habit to include my grid square when calling CQ.

      Running random mode in a western grid is a whole different than back east
      where there is a lot of activity!

      Hope this input helps Tip.

      73,

      Barry VE3CDX/W7 DM26ic