Re: [Moon-net] 2m / 70cms Hardware

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi Simon,

      Simon Brown (HB9DRV) wrote:
      > I have a TS-2000, 2m and 70cms pre-amps from SSB Electronics.
      >
      > What would be the minimum yagi antenna required so that I
      > could work myself via EME? Assume no coax loss between
      > radio and antennas.
      >
      > I ask as I am writing some WSJT / EME software for a
      > station a friend is setting up in HB9 with a 10m dish
      > and it would be interesting to have a station of my own
      > for trying this out. My friend is an excellent hardware

      > guy (I am not), so my software and his hardware know-how compliment each other very well.>
      > I prefer not to run a big linear (up to 1KW) but would
      > if needed.
      >
      > Simon Brown, HB9DRV

      With this setup and a single long yagi (say 10m boom length)
      you could work a few dozen of the larger EME stations on 2
      meters. You could do this much more quickly if you had at
      least several hundred watts.

      To work another station like yourself you would need 3 to 6
      dB more antenna.

      Of course, with heroic efforts (long averaging times, etc.)
      one can make QSOs with less.

      On 432 MHz you can work a few of the larger stations with 50
      W and a single long yagi. Two 4-yagi stations can probably
      work each other, but maybe not with 50 Watts ...

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Dave hartzell
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi All,

        About how many dB of gain should I be looking for in a 432 MHz Yagi?  Is a pre-amp needed as well?

        Thanks and 73,

        Dave
        n0tgd