HSMS Contest (or "Rally")?

  • k1jt
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2002
      I'm not sure whether most readers of this Group Exchange also
      subscribe to the HSMS Reflector. For those who do not, I append some
      recent message from there about an activity event that might be held
      in late April / early May. Comments or suggestions would be very
      welcome, either here or on the HSMS Reflector.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      To: hsms@..., vhfcontesting@...
      From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
      Subject: [HSMS] HSMS Contest
      Sender: hsms-admin@...
      Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:43:29 -0500

      Is there going to be a North American HSMS contest in the first week
      of May (or thereabouts) this year? Have the dates and rules been
      posted anywhere?
      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>
      Subject: Re: [HSMS] HSMS Contest
      To: hsms@...
      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:32:19 +0000

      At 03:43 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:

      >Is there going to be a North American HSMS contest in the first week
      >of May (or thereabouts) this year? Have the dates and rules been
      >posted anywhere?

      I think it has died, while it was on top and still among the best
      :o))))))))

      No, a 2002 version is not under consideration by the original contest
      committee. If someone else wants to create a new one, that's fine by
      me.

      Steve, KØXP
      Committeemember of the Former Contest Known as The North American
      High-Speed Meteor Scatter Contest :o)

      To: hsms@...
      cc: joe@...
      Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:04:16 -0500
      From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>

      Steve --

      Thanks for the information -- your answer confirmed just what I
      feared had happened.

      Let this posting be a call for someone else -- or some group of
      HSMS types -- to take up the challenge and resurrect this great
      event. It's fine to call it a "contest", but to me it was in fact
      more an "activity enhancer". As such it worked very well, and
      that was true even in the dark, distant past, before WSJT/FSK441!
      To me, having certificates mailed out after the event was not a
      big draw. We could perhaps do away with that and just post
      results on the Web. What I liked was the generated activity, the
      chance to work new stations, new grids, and "random" QSOs without
      making skeds.

      I would be happy to help, but would ask that someone else take
      the primary responsibility of choosing and publicizing the dates,
      writing up the new rules, and getting them posted somewhere. I
      believe the old rules were about right, and need only slight
      modification to permit modes other than HSCW. I plan to
      continue devoting what time I have available into further
      development of WSJT, and thus would prefer not to be the primary
      organizer of the 2002 North American High Speed Meteor Scatter
      Contest.

      Who will take up the flag ??
      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      From: "Russ Pillsbury" <k2txb@...>
      To: <hsms@...>
      Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:18:38 -0500

      Hi Joe. Noting Steve's response to your question I am somewhat
      dismayed. I don't blame him and others for not continuing the
      contest, but I'm a little upset that they didn't let us know until
      someone asked about it.

      Anyway, I don't want to make a big deal about it. But I do think the
      contest should be resurrected ASAP. I am willing to do whatever I can
      to help. I think a contest committee or some other type of
      organization should be created to sponsor the contest, and perhaps
      other types of MS activities in the US.

      Perhaps the Packrats would be interested in sponsoring the contest.

      Wonder what your thoughts are on the subject?

      73, Russ K2TXB

      From: "Russ Pillsbury" <k2txb@...>
      To: <hsms@...>
      Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:23:00 -0500

      Damn! I hate the way these new reflectors work! I clicked on reply,
      expecting that my reply would go only to Joe! I ~knew~ that some of
      the reflectors now work differently but habit made me forget to
      check... Sorry all.

      73, Russ K2TXB

      To: hsms@..., k2txb@... (Russ Pillsbury)
      From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
      Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:43:01 -0500

      Russ --

      I thought it was fine for your reply to go to the whole HSMS
      list. As you will have seen by now, I also am hoping that it's
      not too late to resurrect this year's event. The PackRats may
      not be the right group, at least this year -- although it's true
      that at least five members of the club (I've probably forgotten
      some) have been active with WSJT.

      To get the ball rolling, here are some specific suggestions. The
      Eta Aquarids are supposed to peak on May 4. That's a Saturday
      this year, so if we have a nine-day event (two weekends and the
      week between) it should probably be April 27 through May 5. We
      could also consider making it a two week event, including three
      weekends. I would advocate scoring scheme similar to what was
      used before, with more points for "random" QSOs that start with a
      CQ or tail-ending, rather than a posted sked request, and more
      points for 222 and 432 MHz than for 50 or 144. Self-spotting
      by posting "Calling CQ to SW on 144.120" or some such does not
      disqualify one for "random" credit.

      I'm not sure that the relative QSO points by band was optimum;
      it's not much easier to make QSOs on 6 meters than on 2 meters,
      but 222 is much harder and 432 is *really* tough. I would
      suggest that if there's a low-power category it be based on power
      alone, rather than ERP. (Easier to know the correct class, and
      anyway big antennas are not that big an advantage for MS on 2m
      and above.)

      Exact scoring rules are not that important to me, but I will be
      diasppointed if we don't have a good reason for some serious
      activity. Maybe we should even call it a "Rally" instead of a
      "Contest"? The spirit of it is more like ARRL Field day, say,
      which is not really a contest.

      What do others think?

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>
      To: hsms@...
      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:01:46 +0000

      At 08:23 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >Damn! I hate the way these new reflectors work! I clicked on reply,
      >expecting that my reply would go only to Joe! I ~knew~ that some of
      the
      >reflectors now work differently but habit made me forget to check...
      Sorry
      >all.

      I think your reply was just as well made publicly, Russ; nothing
      embarrasing in there, and what you said echoes my feelings.

      As for the reply configuration of the HSMS reflector.... I'll see if
      can change it to "reply to sender only" although I've held off doing
      that because none of the other dozens of active reflectors to which I
      subscribe are set up that way now, especially since the change in
      qth.net reflector software.

      73,
      Steve KØXP

      From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>
      To: hsms@...
      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:54:51 +0000

      At 08:43 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:

      >Exact scoring rules are not that important to me, but I will be
      >diasppointed if we don't have a good reason for some serious
      >activity. Maybe we should even call it a "Rally" instead of a
      >"Contest"? The spirit of it is more like ARRL Field day, say,
      >which is not really a contest.
      >
      >What do others think?
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      I think Joe has the right ideas, including calling the event a
      "Rally"; that would certainly distinguish it from the former
      "contest".

      But I would drop the "HS" in the name since FSK441 isn't "high-speed".

      There was some discussion earlier about allowing ALL modes, including
      voice. I'd go along with that but suspect it could turn out to be an
      albatross. Assume, for example, that a number of voice operators
      attempt MS QSOs and make very few during the Eta Aquarids, because
      those particular reflections are so short as to be virtually useless
      for voice. They might then clamor for a "better" date for the event,
      such as during the Perseids or even Geminids. The whole idea of
      originally choosing the Eta Aquarids was twofold: to bring folks outta
      the winter lack-of-MS doldrums; and to take advantage of the very
      short typical Eta Aquarids reflections. Changing to a long-burst
      shower such as the Perseids or Geminids would reduce that
      incentive. So, I'm not sure whether or not a new event should, or
      should not, allow other modes. If not, then WHICH modes?

      Steve, K0XP

      To: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>, hsms@...
      From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
      Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:58:14 -0500

      Steve --

      > I think Joe has the right ideas, including calling the event a
      "Rally";
      > that would certainly distinguish it from the former "contest".
      >
      > But I would drop the "HS" in the name since FSK441 isn't
      "high-speed".

      Why is FSK441 not "high speed" ?? It runs at 8820 LPM. Most of
      the contacts made in the previous HSMS/HSCW contests were run at
      only 6000 LPM.

      > There was some discussion earlier about allowing ALL modes,
      including
      > voice. I'd go along with that but suspect it could turn out to be an
      > albatross. Assume, for example, that a number of voice operators
      attempt MS
      > QSOs and make very few during the Eta Aquarids, because those
      particular
      > reflections are so short as to be virtually useless for voice. They
      might
      > then clamor for a "better" date for the event, such as during the
      Perseids
      > or even Geminids. The whole idea of originally choosing the Eta
      Aquarids
      > was twofold: to bring folks outta the winter lack-of-MS doldrums;
      and to
      > take advantage of the very short typical Eta Aquarids reflections.
      Changing
      > to a long-burst shower such as the Perseids or Geminids would
      reduce
      that
      > incentive. So, I'm not sure whether or not a new event should, or
      should
      > not, allow other modes. If not, then WHICH modes?
      >
      > Steve, K0XP

      Good points, perhaps. I rather think that on balance, though,
      the event would still attract mostly HSMS types.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 04:15:35 +0000
      From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>
      To: Joe Taylor <joe@...>
      Cc: hsms@...

      At 10:58 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, Joe Taylor wrote:
      >Steve --
      >
      >> I think Joe has the right ideas, including calling the event a
      "Rally";
      >> that would certainly distinguish it from the former "contest".
      >>
      >> But I would drop the "HS" in the name since FSK441 isn't
      "high-speed".

      >Why is FSK441 not "high speed" ?? It runs at 8820 LPM.

      Sorry, my mistake: I wasn't aware FSK441 changed the tones
      dynamically
      like
      that. I have yet to hear a WSJT signal as I've had no antlers for
      almost
      two years now ;o(((((((

      73, Steve K0XP

      To: Steve Harrison <k0xp@...>
      cc: Joe Taylor <joe@...>, hsms@...,
      joe@...
      Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 07:44:19 -0500
      From: Joe Taylor <joe@...>

      Steve --

      >> But I would drop the "HS" in the name since FSK441 isn't
      "high-speed".

      >Why is FSK441 not "high speed" ?? It runs at 8820 LPM.
      >
      > Sorry, my mistake: I wasn't aware FSK441 changed the tones
      dynamically like
      > that. I have yet to hear a WSJT signal as I've had no antlers for
      almost
      > two years now ;o(((((((
      >
      > 73, Steve K0XP

      We miss you! Hope you get some antennas up soon.

      -- 73, Joe