Re: [wsjtgroup] HF JT65A

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
      David Munn wrote:

      > Hi All....Im a Linux operator using Kubuntu on a AMD K8 1.8ghz M/B
      > with 512 ram....I have compiled the latest WSJT from the source code
      > as the .deb file when installed crashes on startup with a Segfault....
      > I go to the WSJT folder and start it with "python wsjt.py" in a
      > terminal..runs ok and i have used it to make a JT65A hf contact....
      > however in the terminal after it does the soundcard setup and shows
      > "Audio streams running normally" i get the following..
      >
      > sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number
      > Error in KV decoder or no KV decoder present
      > Return Code: 512. Will use BM algorithm
      > sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number (this line keeps on repeating)
      >
      > Is there any Linux gurus on the board who may be able to shed some
      > light on this problem..
      >
      > David VK4BDJ

      Hi I will add to this....the error messages start when a * comes up in
      the decode line of the main screen and continues with each decode......i
      have d/l and compiled the reed-solomon-4.0 program so it is in the
      machine....have deleted and reinstalled the wsjt-5.9.7.r386 files and
      recompiled them still getting the error messages....

      David VK4BDJ
    • Harry Popov
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi David,

        > sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number
        > Error in KV decoder or no KV decoder present
        > Return Code: 512. Will use BM algorithm
        > sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number (this line keeps on repeating)

        This shows that you do not have KVASD which is the decoder. WSJT uses
        patented expencive not free code for decoding. It is coded in KVASD. If
        not fond then WSJT is using it's own built in decoder which is working
        fine but is less sensitive.

        Original U/Kubuntu deb is missing KVASD. Historical feature comming from
        rules of Debian for free open source only. Ubuntu team do not have such
        rule but I am afraid the responsible people do not understand from WSJT
        and just look if the program could be executed.

        But it is very strange you said you compiled WSJT from source. KVASD
        should be there. Perhaps you are not using the original source package.
        You could download it from here:

        http://lz1bb.bfra.org/wsjt/wsjt-5.9.7.r385.tar.gz

        BTW if you want to have all features of WSJT when using original Ubuntu
        or Debian deb and do not mind to use non free code, then symply
        copy/paste KVASD in:
        ~/.wsjt

        Hope this helps.

        73, Harry LZ1BB
      • oh2gqc
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi David,

          When calling 'system' from subroutine runqqq,
          the syntax used in the call is not compatible
          with Ubuntu's shell-interpreter /bin/dash.

          You could try this:

          Edit file 'runqqq.F90'. Around line 13 it reads
          "iret=system('./KVASD -q >& /dev/null')"

          Change this line to read:
          "iret=system('./KVASD -q 1>/dev/null')"
          and then recompile.

          I got WSJT 5.9.7.r385 on Xubuntu working
          with this change, so it might be worth a try...

          BR,
          Kari OH2GQC