Activity Periods & Working "Off-Set"

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2003

      There appears to be some confusion on how to work “offset” during the Random Hours and KAOS nights. I will try to explain….

      1 . All CQ’s are on the call frequency. 50.270 or 144.140 (This is the place to listen, call, and make qso’s if not working offset)

      2. Select a frequency either above or below the call frequency you wish to make qso’s on unless you prefer to use the call frequency which is acceptable and encouraged for activity periods.

      Example or Working Offset:

      I will be calling CQ”s on 50.270

      I plan to listen for replies on 50.267

      I create a Custom Message like this: CQ D3 WA5UFH or CQ 267 WA5UFH ( .270 - .003 = .267 )

      After each transmitting sequence of CQ D3 WA5UFH on 50.270 I will listen on 50.267

      I hear W5SNX calling me on 50.267

      When I have copied a call sign of someone calling me on 50.267 I start transmitting on 50.267 and continue to receive on 50.267

      I do not go back to 50.270 unless the QSO is completed or terminated!

      Now both stations WA5UFH and W5SNX or on the same frequency!

      When the QSO is completed, listen for any tail-enders.

      You should be familiar with your radio to know how to set-up the split. My radio is an Icom 746 and it is done rather easily but each radio will be different. If you don’t know how to set the radio up for “Split” operations needed for calling CQ only, it might help to practice before the activity period.

      Also, don’t be surprised if you use “Offset” and still find yourself sharing the same frequency with another QSO. I have seen up to four different calls in one 30 second sequences. I will qsy for any station I see working “offset”.

      Hope this helps anyone having questions about calling cq’s using offset. Did I make any mistakes?

      Tip

      WA5UFH