Decode delay

  • wa1vta01452
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm using V 5.97 and when running JT65B, the transmission stops about
      12 seconds before the minute and then the software proceeds to decode
      the message. I notice quite often the decode process goes well past
      the minute mark, sometimes up to 20 secs into the minute. I usually
      stop my transmission until the decode process is done so I can read
      the message and respond appropriately. I am running the software on an
      800 MHZ pc with Win2000. Anyone have a similar experience? This does
      not seem to happen using FSK441.

      Tom
    • Peter Frenning
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
        you are probably also short on RAM - the more the better.
        Really 1GHz and 512MB is absolute minimum these days, it might help a
        bit to revert to an older version.

        --
        Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

        ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
        email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...
        http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
        Ph. +45 4619 3239
        Snailmail:
        Peter Frenning
        Ternevej 23
        DK-4130 Viby Sj.
        Denmark
        ***********************************
      • Andrew O'Brien
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
          Choose the fast decode option.

          --
          Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

          ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
          email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk
          http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
          Ph. +45 4619 3239
          Snailmail:
          Peter Frenning
          Ternevej 23
          DK-4130 Viby Sj.
          Denmark
          ***********************************

          --
          Andy K3UK
          www.obriensweb.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
            My old desktop was a 1GHz machine with 768Mb RAM and with that JT65b
            decodes took well into the next period. I replaced it with a modern but
            modest budget dual-core machine and what a difference it has made.
            Decodes now always complete before the minute is up.

            73 Paul G4DCV

            Peter Frenning wrote:

            > you are probably also short on RAM - the more the better.
            > Really 1GHz and 512MB is absolute minimum these days, it might help a
            > bit to revert to an older version.
            >
            > wa1vta01452 skrev:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm using V 5.97 and when running JT65B, the transmission stops about
            > > 12 seconds before the minute and then the software proceeds to decode
            > > the message. I notice quite often the decode process goes well past
            > > the minute mark, sometimes up to 20 secs into the minute. I usually
            > > stop my transmission until the decode process is done so I can read
            > > the message and respond appropriately. I am running the software on an
            > > 800 MHZ pc with Win2000. Anyone have a similar experience? This does
            > > not seem to happen using FSK441.
            > >
            > > Tom
            > >

            > --
            > Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

          • Harry Popov
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 20:54 +0100, Paul G4DCV wrote:
              > My old desktop was a 1GHz machine with 768Mb RAM and with that JT65b
              > decodes took well into the next period. I replaced it with a modern but
              > modest budget dual-core machine and what a difference it has made.
              > Decodes now always complete before the minute is up.

              I am using IBM Thinkpad notebook T600X PIII 500Mhz 256Mb RAM. With this
              old machine which some people call junk JT65 decoding always finish
              before next period. So I have enough time to change the message. The
              only difference here compared with the rest is OS (OS means operating
              system). I do use GNU/Linux.

              Just for fun some time I use my old notebook Compaq Armada PII 233Mhz
              128RAM OS GNU/Linux. Yes decoding of JT65 is slightly slower and it ends
              a second or two after TX period starts but still usefull. No problems at
              all while on FSK441.

              I have nothing against core duo machines and hardware progress but 1Ghz
              or even 800Mhz processors are still very good for WSJT. Before throw
              them away just try WSJT under Linux.

              Which Linux? There are many distributions. In general every one should
              do the job. Avoid SUSE. SuSe is so slow that even core 2 duo owners are
              complaining. Debian is fast and WSJT is official package of the
              distribution. Latest UBUNTU has WSJT as official package too. I do use
              Mandriva. Fedora Core 7 should do the job too.

              Windows users who need higher decoding speed should try WSJT 4.9.8
              http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT498.EXE
              It is faster than WSJT 5.x.x and have good decoder for JT65.

              73, Harry LZ1BB
            • wa1vta01452
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2007
                Thanks for all the responses. I will try running version 4 if quick
                decode is still not adequate.

                Tom

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Harry Popov <lz1bb@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 20:54 +0100, Paul G4DCV wrote:
                > > My old desktop was a 1GHz machine with 768Mb RAM and with that JT65b
                > > decodes took well into the next period. I replaced it with a
                modern but
                > > modest budget dual-core machine and what a difference it has made.
                > > Decodes now always complete before the minute is up.
                >
                > I am using IBM Thinkpad notebook T600X PIII 500Mhz 256Mb RAM. With this
                > old machine which some people call junk JT65 decoding always finish
                > before next period. So I have enough time to change the message. The
                > only difference here compared with the rest is OS (OS means operating
                > system). I do use GNU/Linux.
                >
                > Just for fun some time I use my old notebook Compaq Armada PII 233Mhz
                > 128RAM OS GNU/Linux. Yes decoding of JT65 is slightly slower and it ends
                > a second or two after TX period starts but still usefull. No problems at
                > all while on FSK441.
                >
                > I have nothing against core duo machines and hardware progress but 1Ghz
                > or even 800Mhz processors are still very good for WSJT. Before throw
                > them away just try WSJT under Linux.
                >
                > Which Linux? There are many distributions. In general every one should
                > do the job. Avoid SUSE. SuSe is so slow that even core 2 duo owners are
                > complaining. Debian is fast and WSJT is official package of the
                > distribution. Latest UBUNTU has WSJT as official package too. I do use
                > Mandriva. Fedora Core 7 should do the job too.
                >
                > Windows users who need higher decoding speed should try WSJT 4.9.8
                > http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT498.EXE
                > It is faster than WSJT 5.x.x and have good decoder for JT65.
                >
                > 73, Harry LZ1BB

              • Harry Popov
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 2007
                  On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 17:08 +0000, wa1vta01452 wrote:
                  > Thanks for all the responses. I will try running version 4 if quick
                  > decode is still not adequate.

                  Quick decode is not usable for EME. Transmit period of JT65 is 48 sec.
                  In "normal" decode WSJT program waits several seconds after those 48 sec
                  and starts decoding. Actually Quick decode means "Start decoding right
                  after TX period of 48 sec". But the EME signal has 2sec delay. This is
                  the time needed for the signal to travel from Earth to Moon and back
                  here. SO with Quick decode "ON" you will start decoding before actual
                  finish of transmit period. One more, Quick decode is less, slightly but
                  less, sensitive compared to normal decode. In some cases it counts. For
                  general work not so noticeable. If you use JT65 for Tropo QSO then Quick
                  decode is good becouse Tropo signal has not noticeable delay.

                  73, Harry LZ1BB