Re: [wsjtgroup] PTT on a USB COM port ?

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
      Jay K2OVS writes:

      > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
      > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
      > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
      > sure there's an answer out there ?

      Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some adapters
      do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
      PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
      <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

      A Google search turns up plenty:
      <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prolific+usb+serial&btnG=Search>

      Here's one for $10.49 + 5.00 s/h:
      <http://tekgems.com/Products/SBT-USC1M.htm>

      73 de
      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
      Bloomington, Indiana US
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Jay K2OVS writes:
        >
        > > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
        > > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
        > > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at
        all). I'm
        > > sure there's an answer out there ?
        >
        > Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some
        adapters
        > do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
        > PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
        > <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

        This one for $13 has worked well for me:
        http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=447