Re: [wsjtgroup] PTT on a USB COM port ?

  • David Hilton-Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
      USB to serial adaptors are cheap -I've used one for years with no problems.

      David, G4YTL
    • Bob Poortinga
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        Jay K2OVS writes:

        > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
        > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
        > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
        > sure there's an answer out there ?

        Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some adapters
        do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
        PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
        <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

        A Google search turns up plenty:
        <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prolific+usb+serial&btnG=Search>

        Here's one for $10.49 + 5.00 s/h:
        <http://tekgems.com/Products/SBT-USC1M.htm>

        73 de
        --
        Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
        Bloomington, Indiana US
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Jay K2OVS writes:
          >
          > > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
          > > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
          > > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at
          all). I'm
          > > sure there's an answer out there ?
          >
          > Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some
          adapters
          > do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
          > PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
          > <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

          This one for $13 has worked well for me:
          http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=447