Re: [wsjtgroup] PTT on a USB COM port ?

  • ct1ekd@mail.telepac.pt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hello
      VOX turned on the radio may be the answer...

      Pedro - CT1EKD

      Citando jayb1943 <jay123@...>:

      > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
      > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
      > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
      > sure there's an answer out there ?
      > thanx - jay -K2OVS FN30rx

    • David Hilton-Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        USB to serial adaptors are cheap -I've used one for years with no problems.

        David, G4YTL
      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
          Jay K2OVS writes:

          > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
          > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
          > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
          > sure there's an answer out there ?

          Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some adapters
          do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
          PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
          <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

          A Google search turns up plenty:
          <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prolific+usb+serial&btnG=Search>

          Here's one for $10.49 + 5.00 s/h:
          <http://tekgems.com/Products/SBT-USC1M.htm>

          73 de
          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
          Bloomington, Indiana US
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Jay K2OVS writes:
            >
            > > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
            > > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
            > > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at
            all). I'm
            > > sure there's an answer out there ?
            >
            > Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some
            adapters
            > do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
            > PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
            > <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

            This one for $13 has worked well for me:
            http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=447