PTT on a USB COM port ?

  • jayb1943
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
      computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
      get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
      sure there's an answer out there ?
      thanx - jay -K2OVS FN30rx
    • ct1ekd@mail.telepac.pt
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        Hello
        VOX turned on the radio may be the answer...

        Pedro - CT1EKD

        Citando jayb1943 <jay123@...>:

        > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
        > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
        > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
        > sure there's an answer out there ?
        > thanx - jay -K2OVS FN30rx

      • David Hilton-Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
          USB to serial adaptors are cheap -I've used one for years with no problems.

          David, G4YTL
        • Bob Poortinga
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
            Jay K2OVS writes:

            > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
            > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
            > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at all). I'm
            > sure there's an answer out there ?

            Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some adapters
            do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
            PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
            <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

            A Google search turns up plenty:
            <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prolific+usb+serial&btnG=Search>

            Here's one for $10.49 + 5.00 s/h:
            <http://tekgems.com/Products/SBT-USC1M.htm>

            73 de
            --
            Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
            Bloomington, Indiana US
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Jay K2OVS writes:
              >
              > > Hi gang - This may sound like a dumb question but I just got a new
              > > computer with no Serial Port like the old one and have no idea how to
              > > get the PTT line to work on a USB port (if that's possible at
              all). I'm
              > > sure there's an answer out there ?
              >
              > Either VOX or purchase a USB-serial adapter cable. Be careful, some
              adapters
              > do not provide DTR/RTS control signals. The ones based on the Prolific
              > PL-2303 chipset seem to work well. Drivers can be downloaded from:
              > <http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31>

              This one for $13 has worked well for me:
              http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=447