a question

  • David Michael Gaytkko
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      last night on 80m jt65a i adjusted my rf gain down to the point where
      the the signal was just showing over the noise(flatten spectra off and
      with cw filter on). my s-meter was showing S-9. Rein's signal was shown
      as -11. i then turned the rf gain to max/norm and got almost solid
      white on the spectrum. again i copied Rein's signal at -11.

      how can this be? have always thought that as you turned the rf gain
      down, that the incoming signal had to be almost over the point where the
      reduced gain was set to be heard.

      anyone ideas ????

      david/wd4kpd