Azimuth Question

  • Steve McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      I use an earlier version of WSJT (4.9.8 I believe) which suits my
      old laptop just fine. I was checking my azimuth heading for an upcoming sked
      with KL7UW on 2m (BP40iq) and it shows a heading of 317 degrees for me in
      CN88iu. This would indicate to me that HIS heading should be 137 degrees for
      me (317-180).
      Being curious, I changed my location in the options menu to BP40iu and it
      indicated that from BP40iu, the path to me was114 degrees and not 137.
      What am I missing here?......probably something silly :-)

      73 / Steve / VE7SL CN88iu

      Web: "THE VE7SL RADIO NOTEBOOK" at http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi Steve,

        Over a short distance (i.e., much less than the radius of the Earth) the
        "reciprocal beam heading" is, indeed, close to 180 deg away from the
        direct heading. Over larger distances, however, this is no longer true.
        To convince yourself of this fact, try taking a globe in your hands
        and use a stretched string or rubber band to connect your QTH to some DX
        location. Try, for example, a path from your QTH to South Africa. This
        path is nearly due east from you; but it is nowhere near due west when
        you look from the ZS end ...

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT