Power output reading when using WSJT modes?

  • billdz.geo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi folks,

      I picked up a nice Tokyo HyPower HL500-V 500w 2m amp just for use with
      WSJT. Tested it with an FM carrier and got a full 500w output
      reading. Also tested on SSB, whistled into the mike and the output
      meter went to 500w on peaks.

      Then ran my first WSJT sked on FSK441 on 2m and was distressed to see
      that the output meter was reading only 300w. Checked Tx Volume, ALC
      level, etc, and all seems OK. Then tried it on JT6M and the meter
      then showed close to 500w, just a bit lower than with FM.

      So my question is whether this is normal. The FSK441 tones are lower
      in pitch than the JT6M tones, does this account for the difference?
      Or do I perhaps need to reshape the audio response curve on my rig?
      Or is there perhaps a deeper problem?

      73,
      Bill NZ5N
    • WD0M
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Bill,

        What I believe you're seeing is "average" power
        out. If you transmitted CW, RTTY or FM, you'd
        see 500 watts. The WSJT tones are similar to
        voice - you'll see an average power out, that may
        hit 500 watts on peak. My guess is that all is
        well. Just have fun with the contacts!

        73,

        Joe
        WDØM

      • lz1bb@mail.bg
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi Bill,

          > So my question is whether this is normal. The
          FSK441 tones are lower
          > in pitch than the JT6M tones, does this account
          for the difference?
          > Or do I perhaps need to reshape the audio response
          curve on my rig?
          > Or is there perhaps a deeper problem?

          I do not know if this is normal. Just write to
          confirm your
          observations. In my case FT817 is driving a solid
          state linear. With 2W
          input I got 100W output while I use test tones or
          JT65 mode. If I switch
          to FSK441 the power output falls down little under
          80W. I did not pay
          enough attention to this fact as I have a plenty of
          reserve driving
          power and simply crank up the driver. Hope this
          helps. Please let others
          investigate the problem too. Perhaps WSJT needs some
          tone level tune on
          FSK441 to be equal with JT6M and JT65.

          73, Harry LZ1BB

          Безплатната поща в mail.bg вече е 1GB!
        • Al
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hello Bill:
            Try this:
            In SPEC JT, click options and click TX volume control. Raise it to some higher level and try.
            73,
            Al