Fw:RE: [wsjtgroup] JT65A beginner

  • Norm Alexander
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2007

      How about this Grover? Best I could find, it's for HSMS, but still applies to MS contacts.
      73, Norm kc6zwt.

      REPORTS, EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION:
      Except when something special is required for a contest, an exchange of any additional information is valid for a QSO. The commonly-accepted (and expected) exchange for all HSMS operation is the burst duration-signal strength report ("2-number" report). This is now standard worldwide for HSMS operation.
      FIRST NUMBER (PING DURATION)----SECOND NUMBER (SIGNAL STRENGTH)
      1 - Ping with no info. (Not sent)
      2 - ping, up to 5 sec in length6 - up to S3 in strength
      3 - 5-15 sec in length7 - S4 to S5
      4 - 15-60 sec burst8 - S6 to S7
      5 - over 60 sec burst9 - S8 and stronger
      (In Australia where all MS operation is FSK441, there is a slight modification of this, with "06" meaning "20 ms, 0 to 10 dB," "17" meaning "40 to 80 ms, 11 to 16 dB," etc. See their HSMS Web sites for more).
      Note that there cannot be any confusion between the first and second number as the ranges do not overlap; also note that the second number is not itself an "S-meter reading". (The duration report suggested here is slightly different from the European standard and also from some of the older North American charts).
      This is now the preferred exchange for HSMS operation. But, if the other station uses a different reporting system, simply copy what he sends and send your report.
      The typical ping will have a Burst Duration of 2, a Strength of 6. (This is a weak-signal mode).
      Once you have started sending a report, it is NOT changed during that schedule, even though you suddenly get a much better burst. E.g., if you start sending "26", this is the report you would continue to send, even if you next get a "38-quality" ping. Changing the report could result in the loss of a contact