Digital DX News from VK 9 March 2003

  • Rex Moncur
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2003
      FSK441 2 METRES

      Welcome to Rod, VK4KZR, who joined the group this weekend.  Stations on this
      weekend were VK2FZ, VK2AWD, VK2AKR, VK3AXH, VK3KAI, VK4KZR, VK4TZL and VK7MO.  VK2LRR, VK7KRW, VK7IR, VK7KRJ have been listening in and copying
      segments of FSK441.

      Next weekend will be Type A on Saturday and Type B on Sunday to give the
      VK2s the opportunity of beaming North to VK4KZR.

      JT44 TERRESTRIAL

      Tests continue each weekday morning (0700 to 0715 and 0745 to 0815 local) on
      144.225 between VK7 and VK3.  Stations involved include VK3AXH, VK3CY,
      VK3HY, VK3HZ, VK2LRR, VK3AUU and VK7MO. Anyone else who would like to be
      included in a sked at a specific time please let me know.

      JT44 TERRESTRIAL REPORTING

      A number of stations have been experimenting with a different way of
      reporting on terrestrial JT44.  The standard method included in the program
      is based on exchanging both call signs and grid locators which are the
      unknown information.  In practice grid locators are usually known so we have
      been experimenting with exchanging signal reports in -dB.  Thus if the
      strongest signal seen to the time of sending a report is say -18 dB one
      would send 1818.  We are also using PPPP to indicate the partial reception
      of a signal as well as RRRR to indicate full reception of both call signs
      and reports.  Thus the form of a QSO is as follows:

      VK3AXH VK7MO QE37              VK7MO TXing
      VK7MO VK3AXH 1818 PPPP     VK3AXH TXing
      VK3AXH VK7MO 2222 RRRR     VK7MO TXing
      RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR      VK3AXH TXing
      737373737373737373737373        VK7MO  TXing

      Notes:

      1.  Only send RRRR or RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when you have received both call
      signs and a report.

      2.  Once you start sending a report stick to this same report even if the
      signal improves.

      I would welcome comments on this reporting system.

      JT44 EME

      Mike VK2FLR reports on EME contacts as follows:

      Nothing in the past week as moon conditions have not been suitable, but
      further back I have:

      16 Feb 1835 S52LM Sync 7, -18dB (big gun)
             1840 HB9Q  Sync 10 -11dB (big gun)
             1845 SP2OFW   8/-15 (four yagis)
             1902 OH7PI     4/-21 (four yagis)
             1909 GI6ATN    4/-22 (two yagis)
      17 Feb 1806 IK0BZY    5/-19 (one yagi, X pol)
             1853 PA3CSG    4/-23 (not sure)
      1903 G4YTL calling CQ 3/-22 (four yagis)
      18 Feb 1935 DK8ZJ     5/-18 (four yagis)
      2057 S52LM     8/-17 (again)
      2112 PA0JMV    6/-20 (two yagis)
      19 Feb 2130 GI6ATN    4/-21 (four yagis) incomplete)

      During one of these sessions I had a couple of decodes from a German
      station running one single 12 element yagi and 100 watts.

      The next good moon period is from about March 15 to March 25.

      Single yagi stations with JT44 on board should look for signals at moonrise
      and moonset, using the JT44 EME logger at
      http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt44eme

      JT6M

      VK3AXH, VK3KAI and VK2FLR have been experimenting with the new digital mode
      JT6M on two meters to look at its ability to handle aircraft enhancement -
      to date these tests have not produced results.  VK3AXH, VK2AWD, VK2AKR and
      VK7MO have done some tests on 6 meters - while it is early days the mode
      seems to have lots of potential and it certainly sounds nice to listen to.

      73 Rex, VK7MO