Newbie Questions

  • tcamil23
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4 7:58 PM
      First off let me thank all those who have been so patient with me over
      the past few weeks. I am new to this mode and appreciate everyone's help.

      I have had some success in copying some FSK441A sigs on 2 meters (with
      a home brew 6 element yagi@abt 12 feet that took a beating in a
      t-storm this year requiring replacement), and made a few contacts via
      6m and JT6A. I recently added a 10 element 2 m yagi with rotor at
      about 30 feet mounted horizontally and no tilt.

      I have been on fairly regularly (I have been on vacation over the past
      week and a half) and listen in on RH both Saturdays with limited copy
      (only very weak pings one weekend).

      my questions are -

      I am on the East coast of the US and was wondering what my best times
      are (are they also 1300 - 1500 utc). In monitoring PJ and 144 mhz it
      seems the best times seem to coincide with my QRN level increasing
      (0900 - noon ET). I have been on earlier, but it seems few stations
      are on at that time.

      Second question - when sending a CQ is there a better part of the sky
      to point the antenna for max chances? I have been beaming sw to nw as
      most stations seem to be that direction for me (usually base my beam
      direction on who may be "earwigging"). Is it best to aim directly
      towards the stations or at a slight angle?

      Thanks again to all.

      73'

      Tony C
      KA3BPN
    • w6jhb01
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2013
        Hi All - I'm just getting started in JT9 / JT65 stuff and have installed WSJT-X on my Mac and am using an Elecraft K3. Made a QSO the other day with Jack, N7MJ up in Wyoming. Jack - if you are reading this - thanks for being so patient!

        Anyway, I have a few questions. When I worked N7MJ, I was running 20 watts and he gave me a -18 then a -0 signal report. Too much power? If I try using my KX3 with 5 watts, do you think I'll have success?

        Second question - frequencies. On 20 meters, I set my K3 at 14.076.00. Let's say I see a station calling CQ on JT9, and the display shows he is at 2940. Do I lock my TX/RX, double click on him and have my station jump to his frequency? Or should I stay wherever I am at and operate in what appears to be a "split" mode?

        Third question - the "Log QSO" button. Where does it log that QSO??

        Fourth question - the "Lookup" button. Doesn't appear to do anything. What am I missing?

        Sorry for all the questions!

        73, Jim / W6JHB