S+N/N ratio in JT6M vs JT65A

  • Adrian Fabry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2007
      Hi all,

      sorry for the bandwidth,
      these days I've made a QSO on 10m on JT6M, then switching to JT65A.
      I notice that S+N/N radio was 18 dB better on JT6M :
      221400 17.8 1.9 -6 51 AA 26 IW1AXR 2626 YO2NAA (JT6M)
      222400 1 -24 -0.2 48 4 * YO2NAA IW1AXR JN35 0 10 (JT65A)

      Propagation was weak ES, with deep QSB. I suppose that JT65A is
      averaging the S+N/N ratio for all the transmission, and JT6M only for
      the burst.

      Can somebody tell me if there is some difference in the way S+N/N
      is calculated in JT6M, JT65 and FSK441 ?

      And about these -15dB signals which are audible, I think it would be
      a nice feature in the next version to display also the "human" S+N/N
      ratio, i.e -15dB -> 0dB, and when it displays a negative ratio, that
      means the signal is not audible. Maybe that's possible if the noise
      calculated in a 100Hz bandwidth instead of 2500 Hz.

      Anyway, WSJT is a wonderful software, and I'd like to thank you Joe &
      team for that amazing job.

      73 de Ady / YO2NAA