JT65 HF - Thanks

  • Bob Massey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2007
      I just wanted to express my appreciation for the members of this
      group. I have been lurking this site for some time with the intention
      of getting WSJT up and running, ulitimately on MS but initially on hf.

      This past weekend I set everything up with my FT817 and Rigexpert.
      After turning everything on assumed I would have to fiddle a little
      to get it running. Took a quick break and when I returned I was
      decoding signals on 40 meters!! Transmitting did take a few setting
      changes but by Sunday afternoon I was heard in Brazil and had made 3
      contacts, two in US and one in Cuba.

      I say all this to encourage any others who may be sitting on the
      fence thinking it is too difficult to get up and running. Admittedly
      MS will be a bit more difficult but I hope to attack that starting
      this weekend. What a rush to call CQ and see and hear virtually
      nothing but noise until the decode and see someone respond to you!!
      I'm hooked. And on 5 watts into an antenna half laying on the roof!!

      My thanks go to... Joe K1JT for an outstanding program, Fred PU2BFG
      and Marshall W9RVG for decoding me and giving me a boost when I
      thought I might not be getting out, Jay W5DN for his excellent
      writeup on how to get up and running with the RigExpert, and Andy
      K3UK for his Bozo's guide which finally got me off the dime to try
      this mode.

      Sorry for taking the bandwidth but hope it encourages others to try
      HF or MS. Hope to see you all soon.

      73,

      Bob WA9NBU