NAHSMS Contest Weekend...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2007
      FYI ... Contest Reminder...
      For HTML Format go to:
      http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/2007SpringRules.htm

      <Break>

      North American High Speed Meteor Scatter
      2007 Spring Rally

      Click here for the WSJTGROUP homepage.
      Sponsor: WSJT Group groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/

      Please read the rules carefully as major changes have been made for the 2007
      Spring Rally. This is a Random Contacts Only event. The 2007 Winter Rally
      during the Geminids Shower will be assisted and unassisted.

      Rally period
      1300 UTC May 5 to 1500 UTC May 7, 2007. This a weekend rally, chosen to
      coincide with the eta-Aquarids meteor shower. More information on this
      shower can be found here. The usual Saturday random hour periods are
      cancelled during rally weekend.

      QSO Procedure
      This is a digital-mode-only event for meteor scatter QSOs using FSK441 or
      JT6M. It is recommended that WSJT 6 be configured with `grids' for report.
      Instructions on how to do this can be found here. Users of older versions of
      WSJT should enter their grid in the `Report' box. Exchange is both
      callsigns, 4 character maidenhead grid squares, and final `Rogers'. All
      operators are reminded that exchanging information without the use of meteor
      scatter during a QSO attempt invalidates the contact. No scheduling is
      permitted during the rally. In particular, operators cannot use the
      Pingjockey website to observe activity or self-spot.

      Bands: 50, 144, 222, and 432 MHz.

      Calling Frequencies
      Primary 144.140 and 50.260 MHz
      Secondary 144.125 and 50.275 MHz
      No calling frequencies for 222 and 432 MHz
      For information on the call frequencies click here.

      Calling CQ
      All contacts are to be random/unscheduled except as noted below. All
      stations calling CQ must use the Primary or Secondary calling frequencies
      following the offset method. Contacts completed on either of the calling
      frequencies are not valid.

      Schedules
      1. Stations separated by 1200 miles or more can schedule prior to the start
      of the rally. Operators are encouraged to push the distance envelope and
      attempt extreme-DX contacts.
      2. If a station is decoded during the rally that is known to be 1200+ miles
      distant, scheduling of an attempt during the rally is permitted, e.g. by
      email.
      3. Schedules are permitted before and during the rally for 222 and 432 MHz
      bands at any distance.

      Scoring
      50 MHz: 1 point per QSO
      144 MHz: 2 points per QSO
      222 MHz: 4 points per QSO
      432 MHz: 8 point per QSO

      Score is QSO points times number of unique grid squares worked per band

      Rovers: QSO points x (Unique grid squares worked per band + Number of grids
      from which at least 1 QSO was completed). This is the standard rover scoring
      formula for VHF contests.

      Categories
      Categories are single band, multi-band, and rover. Each of these categories
      competes against stations in their time zone. (Rovers may turn in two logs
      if additional contacts are completed from their home QTH)

      The 12 competition categories are summarized as follows:
      Multi-Band, EDT; Multi-Band, CDT; Multi-Band, MDT; Multi-Band, PDT
      Single-Band, EDT; Single-Band CDT; Single-Band, MDT; Single-Band, PDT
      Rover, EDT; Rover, CDT; Rover, MDT; Rover, PDT

      Awards: Certificates will be awarded to stations with high score in each of
      the competition categories.

      Log submission: Participants should submit: 1) A summary and 2) A rally log.

      1) The summary should include: i) Your call, ii) Your time zone, iii) Single
      or Multi-band, iv) QSOs per band, and v) Final claimed score. Please show
      the arithmetic you use to obtain your final score, ie. QSO points x
      Multipliers = Final Score.

      2) For each QSO, the log must show: i) Date, ii) Time (UTC), iii) Callsign
      of station worked, iv) Grid, v) Band (50, 144, etc), and vi) QSO points.

      Submission of the log as an Excel spreadsheet (arrange the columns as shown
      above) by email is strongly encouraged, although any convenient log
      submission format is acceptable. Email logs to wa5ufh@... To verify that
      your log has been received click here. Please allow 4--5 days for logs to be
      processed.

      Operating Guidelines
      Operators are encouraged to listen for tail-enders and to QSY contacts to
      another band. Tailending and QSY procedures can be found here. Short Hand
      messages are permitted but stations should consider the use of random hour
      messages if there is high activity. Operators should review the procedures
      for requesting `missing information' as described here.

      Operators are encouraged to take advantage of scheduling where permitted.
      Rally participants should refrain from using Internet loggers. All operators
      are encouraged to submit a log.

      Rally coordinators: Tip (WA5UFH); John (N6ENU); Mike (WB2FKO); Joe (K1JT)

      Advisory committee: W0IOH, N5SIX, WB9IIV, KE7NR, K4YMQ, K9SQL, W5UWB, W4FRA,
      W9SE, N9EGT
    • Lee Kemp
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2007
        I am deeply sadden to report to you all that John Petersen, KM5ES suddenly passed away today at his home in Eufaula, Oklahoma
        John was 49 years old.

        Lee
        N5TIF
        SWOT#3319
        6M VUCC
        2M VUCC

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2007
          Hi Lee,

          This is indeed very sad news. I never met John face-to-face,
          but considered him a great friend nevertheless. He put many
          tireless hours into helping me test pre-release versions of
          WSJT, especially its meteor-scatter modes. He will be greatly
          missed.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        • w5uwb2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2007
            Lee:

            What a shock and I am deeply saddened to hear this. Condolences to his family.

            73 - John  W5UWB

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • AG2A

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2007

                       I am in shock!  John had one of the few stations I could work almost any day of the year.  He worked hard to improve his station over the past year or so and the way his signal blasted in here it really paid off. John was a shining light for the VHF group and for his love of its different propagation modes including Meteor Scatter!

                     My sympathy to his family and friends...he will be missed!

                Terry.........WA3LTB

              • Mike H
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                  John was an accomplished meteor scatter operator with an outstanding 2-m
                  signal from Oklahoma. This is indeed a sad day for us.

                  Mike WB2FKO
                • Dave Witucki [N8OC]
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2007

                    I don’t even know where to start here  ……   John was one of the first stations I ever worked once I got my ticket back in the HSCW days, and was one of the reasons I started spending so much of my ‘radio time’ chasing MS on 2 and 6M, one of the reasons I went for the vanity extra call (short, easy to copy on HSCW), ….      We’ve worked more times than I can count, and have had many enjoyable, long 6M QSO’s.     John was always there for my grid dxpeditions ‘up North’ and will be missed greatly.   Rest in Peace, OM.

                    Dave  N8OC.

                  • Ira Franklin
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                      It is with great sadness that I hear of John's passing, as others have said he was a great asset to our hobby and I enjoyed many contacts with him. My prayers are with his family and friends.
                      Rest in peace John, you go to a better place
                      Ira K4YMQ

                      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.