NASA/MSFC Forward Scatter Meteors page up

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 4:09 PM
      Several have noticed one of the better ping counters is operational
      again. Rob, KB5EZ, is with NASA at Marshall Space Flight Center and the
      counter, while located there, is his personal project. It had been down
      since September. Rob uses a tuned beam pointed to the zenith and
      monitors a TV Channel 3 carrier on 67.25 MHz.

      The best use of the counter is comparing it from day to day and using it
      to gauge relative meteor activity. It certainly tracks the normal daily
      up's and down's. Keep in mind that TV carriers are high power and will
      produce many more 'hits' than we typically see during 6 and 2m runs so
      don't let the absolute numbers fool you. However, from experience, when
      the numbers start reaching the 300 and up level, you can about bet on
      very good meteor scatter runs.

      http://www.knology.net/~suggs/bigradar2.gif is the URL

      If anyone knows Rob or is in his area, please tell him thanks for his
      efforts if you have the opportunity.

      Bruce, N5SIX
    • N0PB
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 8:36 PM
        I too am glad to see it back Bruce.
        Actually 67.25 is channel 4 picture carrier I think.. Channel 3 is 61.25 and
        Channel 2 is 55.25
        I use Channel 2 and 3 here.. Put your rig in CW mode on 55.25 and listen.
        It is still close enough in freq to
        6 meters that the beam even gives some directivity.
        However, I am just a dumb farm boy and like the title of the song "I could
        be wrong".. hi hi
        73,
        Phil N0PB

        > Several have noticed one of the better ping counters is operational
        > again. Rob, KB5EZ, is with NASA at Marshall Space Flight Center and the
        > counter, while located there, is his personal project. It had been down
        > since September. Rob uses a tuned beam pointed to the zenith and
        > monitors a TV Channel 3 carrier on 67.25 MHz.
        >
        > The best use of the counter is comparing it from day to day and using it
        > to gauge relative meteor activity. It certainly tracks the normal daily
        > up's and down's. Keep in mind that TV carriers are high power and will
        > produce many more 'hits' than we typically see during 6 and 2m runs so
        > don't let the absolute numbers fool you. However, from experience, when
        > the numbers start reaching the 300 and up level, you can about bet on
        > very good meteor scatter runs.
        >
        > http://www.knology.net/~suggs/bigradar2.gif is the URL
        >
        > If anyone knows Rob or is in his area, please tell him thanks for his
        > efforts if you have the opportunity.
        >
        > Bruce, N5SIX

      • Bruce Brackin
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 4:29 AM
          GM Phil - You are correct. 67.250 is Channel 4. Brain to finger
          connection problem hi! Main thing is the "bean counter" works. I also
          monitor TV2 carriers. Best ones here are on 55.239.44(USB). Others on
          55.250+/- and 55.260+/-.

          For those interested, carriers can be viewed on SpecJT (in any of the
          JT65 modes), plain Spectran, Argo QRSS viewer or any PSK waterfall. ARGO
          is my favorite for watching pings off carrier(s) since you can find
          where pings are hitting in the AF bandpass and then click on the freq
          and run expanded scale display around that freq.

          Bruce, N5SIX