Random hour preparation...

  • Andrew O'Brien
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      Well, my attempt to randomly capture a 2M MS signal with my lowly 2M
      vertical failed. Two Saturdays of monitoring, no signals heard or
      decoded. Still have never decoded a MS FSK441 signal.

      So, plan B. The 12 element 2M Yagi should be installed Friday if the
      weather is good, it will be horizontally polarized. At this point, I
      will probably only get it about 20 feet off the ground. For MS work,
      what impact does height above ground have on QSO attempts? I'm used
      to line-of-sight issues for 2M FM work, but I assume that other
      factors come in to play for MS SSB work on 2M ?

      Any other tips for try this Saturday with the 14 dBi gain antenna ?

      Andy K3UK
    • Harry Popov
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        Hi Andy,

        Is 20 feet height good for the antenna depends from the boom length of
        the antenna alone. Here is a picture of our two antennaes we used during
        our MS expedition in KN42AA.

        http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=6059&photo=40

        One on the left is 8el DJ9BV on 4.2m boom. Mast is 4m high. The other
        one on the right is 15el DJ9BV on 8.40m boom. That antenna was only 5m
        above the ground. Using 100W on both stations we made 200 QSOs on 144Mhz
        FSK441.

        So 20 feet, which is 6m up is quite enough for serious MS work. It is
        much more important to have clear horizont /take off/.

        Hope this helps.

        73, Harry LZ1BB
        More pictures from MS expedition in KN41AX/KN42AA:
        http://www.snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=6059