D4 Problem

  • Tom Provost
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
      Can anyone point me in the right direction? My d4 won't sync up with
      any of the servers included with the software. I have a second copy
      on my "family"machine downstairs and all is well there. I tried the
      same server that works FB downstairs here in the shack and it won't
      sync. I keep getting request time outs. I even tried downloading the
      program again but it won't go. The Current status alternates
      between"waiting for response" and "timed out while waiting,will retry
      in a moment"
      It was working up here for a long time and just quit...I am using XP
      Home. No new programs were added at the time that I noticed D4 quit.
    • Harry Popov
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
        On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:55 -0400, Tom Provost wrote:
        > Can anyone point me in the right direction? My d4 won't sync up

        Try to switch off your firewall if you use one. I guess the nttp port is
        blocked by it on your machine.

        73, Harry LZ1BB
      • Harry Popov
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
          On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:55 -0400, Tom Provost wrote:
          > Can anyone point me in the right direction? My d4 won't sync up

          Try to switch off your firewall if you use one. I guess the nttp port is
          blocked by it on your machine.

          If this does not help please tell us do you have equal Windows versions
          on both computers? And if no which one what?

          73, Harry LZ1BB
        • Russ K2TXB
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
            Tom, the first thing I would do is to start up a command window and see if DNS is working correctly on that machine.  Try pinging a web host by name and see if it can find the proper ip address.  For instance "ping google.com", should work.  If not then your DNS setup on that computer is not working and you need to fix it before D4 can work.  You also can test to see if pinging any of the time servers listed in D4 will work.

            Maybe this will help.

            Good luck, Russ K2TXB

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
              I had the same trouble when using the WinXP machine.  I found out that there is an updated version of D4 for XP which you can easily set the fire wall to alow access to the internet.  Check for and install the newer verison for XP and you'll be in good shape.  73, Bill, WF4R