June VHF Contest Activity Hour(s)?

  • J Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2007
      Hello all, as a serious participant in the June and
      September VHF contests; is there any activity hour(s)
      for FSK441A on 6M, 2M, 222 and 432?

      73,

      John
      N2HMM

      N2NK NORMANOCH VHF CONTEST CLUB

      Get your own web address.
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2007
        John asked: is there any activity hour(s)
        > for FSK441A on 6M, 2M, 222 and 432?

        John the following was proposed however in the past it appears most stations
        have attempted to make schedules for the ARRL contests. This proposed
        procedure was recommended for January and September contests. These
        procedures are buried in the group webpages and probably need to be updated
        / improved to fit current needs. (They have not been widely accepted)

        Snip:
        Operating Hints For ARRL January & September Contests...

        For the ARRL VHF Contests the WSJTGROUP recommends the following
        as an alternative to schedules for meteor scatter contest qso's. Single band
        stations can use both
        even or odd hours but should expect more activity during the designated
        hour.

        Contest Even Hours:
        First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 on 50.260 MHz.

        Contest Odd Hours:
        First 30 minutes for calling / listening using FSK441 144.140MHz.

        Procedures: (Grids as Reports!)
        1. The suggested methods of calling CQ's on the call frequency are: (A)
        using the Up | Dn procedure where contacts
        are completed off the call frequencies or (B) calling cq's and completing
        qso's on the call frequency. (see note below)
        2. All are encouraged to continue qso's in progress after the window
        expires. (Take as long as is needed to make a completion!)
        3. Tail-ending is encouraged during and after the random window has expired.

        4. QSY to another band is encouraged. Send QSY information with 73 or RRR
        messages. (RRR 266 RRR 266 or 73 QSY 266)
        5. It is suggested that all stations use the "Random Hour Messages" to
        reduce confussion of standard messages where multiple users
        are possible.

        Taken from http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/SpecialSessions.htm

        If a group of contest station can come up with a better plan, I will be
        happy to publish it on the webpages.

        Oh, on 222 and 432 MHz, I don't even think a consensus has been reached on
        the calling frequencies. This too should be decided on and published.

        Thanks for bringing this up... I for one hate schedules during ARRL
        contests, ties me down too much and many never show up for the sked.

        Tip WA5UFH