[Fwd: channels]

  • David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: channels
      Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 11:24:20 +0000
      From: David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD <wd4kpd@...>
      To: Harry Popov <lz1bb@...>

      hello harry....

      well regarding the sideband issue, my understanding is that
      it was done that way because of the technical limitation of
      the mixer or sideband filtering method of the rigs back then would no
      allow the lower frequencies to
      maintain the mark high for RTTY. i don't think there be any
      modern rig today that has this problem. so now it is only because
      of tradition that this is still done. it could be changed.

      as to the channels, with modern rigs 100hz is routinely done,
      and all the stations i worked these past few days on wsjt
      have all been well within this tolerance. it seems that at
      least trying would be better than taking up unnecessary
      space by trying to qso with a very wide df.

      just trying to help.

      david/wd4kpd
    • Harry Popov
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 11:24 +0000, David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD wrote:
        > well regarding the sideband issue, my understanding is that
        > it was done that way because of the technical limitation of
        > the mixer or sideband filtering method of the rigs back then would no
        > allow the lower frequencies to maintain the mark high for RTTY.

        This is technically wrong statement. What you say for LSB is exactly the
        same you should say for USB too.

        > just trying to help.

        Me too. Just expressed my opinion. Nothing personal. BTW I like
        standards. They make life easier. That is their purpose I believe.

        > david/wd4kpd

        73, Harry LZ1BB