Re: [wsjtgroup] jt65a channels ?

  • Harry Popov
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
      On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 01:05 +0000, David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD wrote:

      > suggestion that if 076 is the center of the band, and since
      > WSJT can search over a 600cps range, that we establish
      > a few channels. such as 075.3/075.6/076/076.3/076.6 etc,
      > every 300cps. this gives a little guard band around each
      > channel and will still pass all data.

      Chanels hystorically never worked on HF. I do not think they will do
      this time too. At the other hand 300Hz is normal dial mistake of a
      modern transceiver. I am always surprised how many people strictly
      beleave that their digital dial is perfect. For them I ussually suggest
      to find a partner with the same model transceiver. It is fun listening
      which dial is more corect and why after they meet each other on the
      air. :)

      For many reasons it is very difficult to find two radios with exactly
      the same frequency and dial indication of that frequency. So chanels
      usually do work on FM mode where plus or minus 1Khz is not so important
      and never work on SSB mod where 50Hz is a big difference.

      > all you got to do is dial in the channel with dial freq, and freeze
      > with a 200cps tolerance. with the accuracy of hf rigs today,
      > anyone can do this and get within 100cps where you can
      > capture without going to a df that covers another channel.
      >
      > with a little cooperation, this can be fun !
      >
      > lacking VK & S.America for wac on jt65a.
      >
      > what say ?????
      >
      > david/wd4kpd
      >
      > ps.....some standardization should be considered as to
      > which sideband to use on each band....it was set out a ways
      > back that USB was going to be used for all digi modes, except
      > RTTY regardless of the band. should this standard be used, or
      > should WSJT be operated like RTTY ? its not a real big
      > problem yet, but with more ops, its gonna be.

      In my country we like to say it is not necessory to discover the hot
      water as it was discovered long time ago. In our case why every time a
      new mode is establishing and always start discussions which side band to
      be used? I am afraid people do not know that there is standartd for
      that. That why we use LSB up to 10Mhz and USB above 10Mhz for SSB voice
      communications. Why we have to fight with the standard? Ofcourse USB is
      the proper mode for 20m band. For the same reason we do use USB mode for
      JT65 communications on 50 144 432 1296 and up Mhz.

      73, Harry Popov LZ1BB
    • TF3TTY
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007

        Hi all.
        I agree that we need to find some space on the bands. In my case right now there is a packet mail station on 20 meters drowning the jt65 signal
        I can see la5vna and dl5swb calling but most of the time they are drowed in the packet signal. In the 70 to 80 there is also the psk31 and some amtor pactor station at my location. during my "Daytime" this band is mostly closed because of signals from europe.
        happy dxing
        73's de tf3tty....

        working last eve on 20m was fun, but when you work
        another with a large DF, you take up more space than
        necessary for a qso. also with the popularity growing,
        i think would be nice for a bit of channelization.