jt65a channels ?

  • David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      working last eve on 20m was fun, but when you work
      another with a large DF, you take up more space than
      necessary for a qso. also with the popularity growing,
      i think would be nice for a bit of channelization.

      suggestion that if 076 is the center of the band, and since
      WSJT can search over a 600cps range, that we establish
      a few channels. such as 075.3/075.6/076/076.3/076.6 etc,
      every 300cps. this gives a little guard band around each
      channel and will still pass all data.

      all you got to do is dial in the channel with dial freq, and freeze
      with a 200cps tolerance. with the accuracy of hf rigs today,
      anyone can do this and get within 100cps where you can
      capture without going to a df that covers another channel.

      with a little cooperation, this can be fun !

      lacking VK & S.America for wac on jt65a.

      what say ?????

      david/wd4kpd

      ps.....some standardization should be considered as to
      which sideband to use on each band....it was set out a ways
      back that USB was going to be used for all digi modes, except
      RTTY regardless of the band. should this standard be used, or
      should WSJT be operated like RTTY ? its not a real big
      problem yet, but with more ops, its gonna be.
    • Harry Popov
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
        On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 01:05 +0000, David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD wrote:

        > suggestion that if 076 is the center of the band, and since
        > WSJT can search over a 600cps range, that we establish
        > a few channels. such as 075.3/075.6/076/076.3/076.6 etc,
        > every 300cps. this gives a little guard band around each
        > channel and will still pass all data.

        Chanels hystorically never worked on HF. I do not think they will do
        this time too. At the other hand 300Hz is normal dial mistake of a
        modern transceiver. I am always surprised how many people strictly
        beleave that their digital dial is perfect. For them I ussually suggest
        to find a partner with the same model transceiver. It is fun listening
        which dial is more corect and why after they meet each other on the
        air. :)

        For many reasons it is very difficult to find two radios with exactly
        the same frequency and dial indication of that frequency. So chanels
        usually do work on FM mode where plus or minus 1Khz is not so important
        and never work on SSB mod where 50Hz is a big difference.

        > all you got to do is dial in the channel with dial freq, and freeze
        > with a 200cps tolerance. with the accuracy of hf rigs today,
        > anyone can do this and get within 100cps where you can
        > capture without going to a df that covers another channel.
        >
        > with a little cooperation, this can be fun !
        >
        > lacking VK & S.America for wac on jt65a.
        >
        > what say ?????
        >
        > david/wd4kpd
        >
        > ps.....some standardization should be considered as to
        > which sideband to use on each band....it was set out a ways
        > back that USB was going to be used for all digi modes, except
        > RTTY regardless of the band. should this standard be used, or
        > should WSJT be operated like RTTY ? its not a real big
        > problem yet, but with more ops, its gonna be.

        In my country we like to say it is not necessory to discover the hot
        water as it was discovered long time ago. In our case why every time a
        new mode is establishing and always start discussions which side band to
        be used? I am afraid people do not know that there is standartd for
        that. That why we use LSB up to 10Mhz and USB above 10Mhz for SSB voice
        communications. Why we have to fight with the standard? Ofcourse USB is
        the proper mode for 20m band. For the same reason we do use USB mode for
        JT65 communications on 50 144 432 1296 and up Mhz.

        73, Harry Popov LZ1BB
      • TF3TTY
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007

          Hi all.
          I agree that we need to find some space on the bands. In my case right now there is a packet mail station on 20 meters drowning the jt65 signal
          I can see la5vna and dl5swb calling but most of the time they are drowed in the packet signal. In the 70 to 80 there is also the psk31 and some amtor pactor station at my location. during my "Daytime" this band is mostly closed because of signals from europe.
          happy dxing
          73's de tf3tty....