Re: WSJT ON hf bands

  • Marsh Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2007
      Fascinating!
      Mike,
      Please publish the primary frequencies that you are using for each of
      the bands.
      Thanks for the info!
      73, Marsh, NC7V in WA

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Your results with JT65B on HF are very interesting!
      >
      > I encourage you to try the same experiments using JT65A,
      > some time soon. Your bandwidth requirements will then be
      > cut in half, to only 178 Hz. This means half as much chance
      > for in-band QRM from other signals, and it means less QRM
      > from your signal to other operators.
      >
      > Frequency stability and doppler broadening should be only a
      > minor factor on the HF bands, and JT65A should give you
      > about 1 dB better sensitivity than JT65B.
      >
      > With best wishes,
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      >
      > Mike wrote:
      > > For the past three weeks I and a few other Hams have been trying JT65B
      > > on the HF bands with some degree of success. One of the most popular
      > > frequencies is 18.102. So far I have had A QSO with at least 8
      > > different stations including 8Q7WB and JE5FLM. These contacts were on
      > > bands that were supposedly dead or nearly dead at the time. My
      > > observations about the JT65B mode on HF is that the software is very
      > > good at decoding signals as low as -26db, surrounded by PSK/RTTY/AMTOR
      > > QRM and a considerable amount of QRN.
      > > 8Q7WB was worked at -24db with PSK at +400hz and -500hz and some local
      > > QRN. JT decoded every transmission from Isao with no problem despite
      > > the PSK signals being anywhere from S2 to S5 on the meter.
      > > Since I can very rarely use 6 and 2 meters anymore due to horrendous
      > > line noise that doesn't seem to bother most of the HF bands I find
      > > that JT65B on HF is fun. It's not EME but on a dead band it can be a
      > > bit exciting.
      > > I am not using a big antenna setup on HF, just an 80M delta loop and
      > > 25 - 30 watts output. So far I have made QSO's on 40, 30, 20 and 15
      > > with JT65B.
      > >
      > > Mike VE3FGU

    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2007
        Mike, just a suggestion.  You say you have horrible noise on 6 meters that is not present on the HF bands.  Have you checked to be sure the noise is not coming from your own house - most specifically a computer, or the computer monitor?  I have seen some monitors do a lot of damage to 6 meters when there was little or no effect on other bands including 2 meters.

        I 'fixed' my problem by buying a  newer monitor.

        73, Russ K2TXB