Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT ON hf bands

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22 12:15 PM
      Hi Mike,

      Your results with JT65B on HF are very interesting!

      I encourage you to try the same experiments using JT65A,
      some time soon. Your bandwidth requirements will then be
      cut in half, to only 178 Hz. This means half as much chance
      for in-band QRM from other signals, and it means less QRM
      from your signal to other operators.

      Frequency stability and doppler broadening should be only a
      minor factor on the HF bands, and JT65A should give you
      about 1 dB better sensitivity than JT65B.

      With best wishes,

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      Mike wrote:
      > For the past three weeks I and a few other Hams have been trying JT65B
      > on the HF bands with some degree of success. One of the most popular
      > frequencies is 18.102. So far I have had A QSO with at least 8
      > different stations including 8Q7WB and JE5FLM. These contacts were on
      > bands that were supposedly dead or nearly dead at the time. My
      > observations about the JT65B mode on HF is that the software is very
      > good at decoding signals as low as -26db, surrounded by PSK/RTTY/AMTOR
      > QRM and a considerable amount of QRN.
      > 8Q7WB was worked at -24db with PSK at +400hz and -500hz and some local
      > QRN. JT decoded every transmission from Isao with no problem despite
      > the PSK signals being anywhere from S2 to S5 on the meter.
      > Since I can very rarely use 6 and 2 meters anymore due to horrendous
      > line noise that doesn't seem to bother most of the HF bands I find
      > that JT65B on HF is fun. It's not EME but on a dead band it can be a
      > bit exciting.
      > I am not using a big antenna setup on HF, just an 80M delta loop and
      > 25 - 30 watts output. So far I have made QSO's on 40, 30, 20 and 15
      > with JT65B.
      >
      > Mike VE3FGU
    • Marsh Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 8:12 PM
        Fascinating!
        Mike,
        Please publish the primary frequencies that you are using for each of
        the bands.
        Thanks for the info!
        73, Marsh, NC7V in WA

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > Your results with JT65B on HF are very interesting!
        >
        > I encourage you to try the same experiments using JT65A,
        > some time soon. Your bandwidth requirements will then be
        > cut in half, to only 178 Hz. This means half as much chance
        > for in-band QRM from other signals, and it means less QRM
        > from your signal to other operators.
        >
        > Frequency stability and doppler broadening should be only a
        > minor factor on the HF bands, and JT65A should give you
        > about 1 dB better sensitivity than JT65B.
        >
        > With best wishes,
        >
        > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        >
        > Mike wrote:
        > > For the past three weeks I and a few other Hams have been trying JT65B
        > > on the HF bands with some degree of success. One of the most popular
        > > frequencies is 18.102. So far I have had A QSO with at least 8
        > > different stations including 8Q7WB and JE5FLM. These contacts were on
        > > bands that were supposedly dead or nearly dead at the time. My
        > > observations about the JT65B mode on HF is that the software is very
        > > good at decoding signals as low as -26db, surrounded by PSK/RTTY/AMTOR
        > > QRM and a considerable amount of QRN.
        > > 8Q7WB was worked at -24db with PSK at +400hz and -500hz and some local
        > > QRN. JT decoded every transmission from Isao with no problem despite
        > > the PSK signals being anywhere from S2 to S5 on the meter.
        > > Since I can very rarely use 6 and 2 meters anymore due to horrendous
        > > line noise that doesn't seem to bother most of the HF bands I find
        > > that JT65B on HF is fun. It's not EME but on a dead band it can be a
        > > bit exciting.
        > > I am not using a big antenna setup on HF, just an 80M delta loop and
        > > 25 - 30 watts output. So far I have made QSO's on 40, 30, 20 and 15
        > > with JT65B.
        > >
        > > Mike VE3FGU

      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23 11:45 AM
          Mike, just a suggestion.  You say you have horrible noise on 6 meters that is not present on the HF bands.  Have you checked to be sure the noise is not coming from your own house - most specifically a computer, or the computer monitor?  I have seen some monitors do a lot of damage to 6 meters when there was little or no effect on other bands including 2 meters.

          I 'fixed' my problem by buying a  newer monitor.

          73, Russ K2TXB