Re: [wsjtgroup] FW: Random Hour - calling freq ops

  • Rex Moncur
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
      Hi Mike and all
      I agree with Mike's experience on grid expedition where all other stations will be trying to work the rare grid square station.  The problem on activity sessions (your random hour) is that there can be more than one QSO going on and thus the single tones from another QSO can cause confusion. Thus we adopt the rule that for activity sessions the TXing station my always identify themselves with their call sign.
      For info we have done some experiments with close spaced stations to look at the footprint size and this seems to be no more than about 10 km on 6 meters and I would suspect proportionally smaller on two meters.  A book on "Meteor Burst Communication" by Schanker indicates that the footprint is about 5km by 25 km long. While he does not say I assume this is for around 40 MHz.
      Regards Rex, VK7MO