JT65B Small Stations

  • Steve McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2006
      I have recently become aware of the importance of stability (wobble) and
      transmitter audio pass band issues with regard to JT65B modes with smaller
      borderline eme systems.
      I'm wondering how many of you with small systems (1,2 or even 4 small yagis)
      are having good results with UNmodified tx or rx commercial units? If not,
      what have you done to minimize drift and short-term tx frequency wobbling?
      Have you taken any steps to equalize the audio pass band into your tx? Have
      you been able to work other small stations as well, without modifying your
      equipment or is it essential in order to work anything other than the big
      guns?

      Steve // VE7SL
    • Lee Scott - AA1YN
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2006
        At 12:33 PM 11/18/2006 -0800, you wrote:
        >I have recently become aware of the importance of stability (wobble) and
        >transmitter audio pass band issues with regard to JT65B modes with smaller
        >borderline eme systems.
        >I'm wondering how many of you with small systems (1,2 or even 4 small yagis)
        >are having good results with UNmodified tx or rx commercial units? If not,
        >what have you done to minimize drift and short-term tx frequency wobbling?
        >Have you taken any steps to equalize the audio pass band into your tx? Have
        >you been able to work other small stations as well, without modifying your
        >equipment or is it essential in order to work anything other than the big
        >guns?
        >
        >Steve // VE7SL

        Steve,

        I did have to modify my IC-746 as it had a 50hz drift while transmitting
        and a 50Hz drift during cooldown.

        I ended up ovenizing the crystal in my rig and that solved a big problem
        for me.

        Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
        Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
        Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com