Re: [wsjtgroup] JT65B Decodes

  • Lee Scott - AA1YN
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
      At 06:54 AM 11/16/2006 -0800, Jim Forsyth wrote:
      >You can still change messages several seconds into the TX period. Redundancy
      >and error correction mean that pieces of the transmission can be missing and
      >it will still get through. I do that all the time and I use a 500 MHz
      >machine with the latest version of WSJT. With the two tone messages you can
      >make the switch even later.
      >
      >Jim, AF6O

      Jim,

      I find that switching messages during xmit causes JT65 to not decode at
      all. When I see someone responding to me, I turn the auto to off and set
      up the correct response and then re-enable auto on. During the EME
      contest, I saw a lot of switching of messages so they would not
      decode. The only remedy for this was to shift in frequency, set the
      tolerance to 25 and decode the latter part of the signal. I don't believe
      there is a way to decode both messages during the one cycle so JT doesn't
      decode them at all as the message does not add up.

      I am using a P4 DUO processor at 3.2GHz and it is fast enough for decodes
      prior to transmit. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to respond when I
      need to change the callsign, generate the message, and click on the OOO
      response.

      Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
      Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
      Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
      Hooksett, NH
      FN43gc52
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
        Lee, and all --

        > I find that switching messages during xmit causes JT65 to not decode at
        > all.

        This is not my experience at all. I find that JT65
        frequently decodes correctly even when the transmitting
        station has changed his message well into the Tx period.

        There is, of course, some loss of sensitivity when this
        happens. If you are close to the margin, decoding can be
        prevented. If the change is to a shorthand message, you can
        almost always decode it correctly.

        > Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to respond when I
        > need to change the callsign, generate the message, and click on the OOO
        > response.

        Just double-click on the decoded callsign that you want to
        respond to. The program automatically changes the "To
        Radio" callsign, generates new messages, figures out which
        message to send, and (if you wish) checks or unchecks the
        "Tx First" box properly.

        -- Joe, K1JT
      • Steve McDonald
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006

          Thanks to ALL of those who have sent information on their computer systems! It appears that I may need to bite the bullet and get a faster laptop to realize faster decodes.

          Steve // VE7SL