Re: [wsjtgroup] JT65B Decodes

  • Paul Whatton
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
      Hi Steve

      On my old machine, not dissimilar to yours, a 750Mhz Athlon with 500Mb
      RAM, 12 seconds was a fast decode! Sometimes it was much longer,
      especially if I was running other tasks at the same time.

      Whilst not a laptop, I recently built a budget desktop machine with a
      dual core 2.8GHz Pentium 820D and 1 Gb of RAM. Dual core seems to have
      been invented for those of us who want to be able to do other stuff
      while WSJT and SpecJT are running. My WSJT 5.9.6 decodes are now about 3
      seconds. They are indeed fast enough to allow me to change the TX
      message before my over starts. Bliss!

      73 Paul G4DCV

      cqer01 wrote:

      > I am using an older Toshiba laptop, likely around 700MHz speed and
      > Win98 and WSJT version 4.XX, not the latest as I don't think my computer
      > could handle it properly.
      > When going from rx to tx and the 'decode' mode begins, it usually takes
      > about 12 secs or so before I see the decoded transmission which makes
      > it a little difficult to know which response to make and by then it is
      > too late.
      > I am wondering if a faster cpu would result in a quicker decode??...but
      > still not likely quick enough to allow the proper response to be cued
      > up...or is this normal ?
      >
      > What speed/RAM/OS in laptop size would be best for the latest version
      > of WSJT?
      >
      > Steve / VE7SL
      >
      > _
    • Lee Scott - AA1YN
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
        At 06:54 AM 11/16/2006 -0800, Jim Forsyth wrote:
        >You can still change messages several seconds into the TX period. Redundancy
        >and error correction mean that pieces of the transmission can be missing and
        >it will still get through. I do that all the time and I use a 500 MHz
        >machine with the latest version of WSJT. With the two tone messages you can
        >make the switch even later.
        >
        >Jim, AF6O

        Jim,

        I find that switching messages during xmit causes JT65 to not decode at
        all. When I see someone responding to me, I turn the auto to off and set
        up the correct response and then re-enable auto on. During the EME
        contest, I saw a lot of switching of messages so they would not
        decode. The only remedy for this was to shift in frequency, set the
        tolerance to 25 and decode the latter part of the signal. I don't believe
        there is a way to decode both messages during the one cycle so JT doesn't
        decode them at all as the message does not add up.

        I am using a P4 DUO processor at 3.2GHz and it is fast enough for decodes
        prior to transmit. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to respond when I
        need to change the callsign, generate the message, and click on the OOO
        response.

        Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
        Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
        Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
        Hooksett, NH
        FN43gc52
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
          Lee, and all --

          > I find that switching messages during xmit causes JT65 to not decode at
          > all.

          This is not my experience at all. I find that JT65
          frequently decodes correctly even when the transmitting
          station has changed his message well into the Tx period.

          There is, of course, some loss of sensitivity when this
          happens. If you are close to the margin, decoding can be
          prevented. If the change is to a shorthand message, you can
          almost always decode it correctly.

          > Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to respond when I
          > need to change the callsign, generate the message, and click on the OOO
          > response.

          Just double-click on the decoded callsign that you want to
          respond to. The program automatically changes the "To
          Radio" callsign, generates new messages, figures out which
          message to send, and (if you wish) checks or unchecks the
          "Tx First" box properly.

          -- Joe, K1JT
        • Steve McDonald
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006

            Thanks to ALL of those who have sent information on their computer systems! It appears that I may need to bite the bullet and get a faster laptop to realize faster decodes.

            Steve // VE7SL