Re: [wsjtgroup] Calling Frequencies:

  • Bryce Ofstie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2006
      I'm inclined to agree that, on the calling frequencies, it would be good
      etiquette to use the Random Hour message format at all times. Essentially
      meaning no Short Hand messages on the calling frequencies. I think it is
      easier to determine 'who' from DF if there are only a couple others on
      frequency, not so easy (or accurate) when there are a dozen. So the outcome
      of packing the band full of signals may lead to the elimination of the Short
      Hand message.

      I use simplex during Random Hours specifically because I am interested in
      maximizing the number I hear as well as the number I work. Outside of
      Random Hour, especially during contests when things may be crowded, I am
      more likely to use offsets or schedules because I'm looking for the contact
      rather than who else is on frequency. I'm also more likely ,at any time, to
      use offsets on 2m than on 6m. I guess my logic is that I'm not going to
      miss hearing as many (because there are fewer to be heard) and it typically
      takes longer to complete on 2m so why not move off to a spot where I can be
      sure of who is answering on the first ping, rather than second guessing
      myself and double checking with 2 or 3 pings before I switch messages.

      My 2 cents.

      73,
      Bryce, KI0LE

      http://www.cpinternet.com/~ki0le/