FW: Random Hour

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2003
      Looks like a few more joined in the Random Hour this morning. Also saw
      some good posts relating to calling and working stations on same
      frequency. After switching over to 144.140 from six meters I started
      hearing more pings! Here is what Rex shared with us a while back....

      Snip....
      We all use the same frequency and don't QSY as you see much more of what
      is going on and this seems to create more interest. It does mean
      stations in common areas must use the same time period but because of
      our geography this works out Ok. The bulk of FSK441 activity in VK is
      during these "activity sessions". Most stations only complete one or
      two contacts (and sometimes none) in an hour but all see plenty of pings
      from different stations and this keeps the interest up.

      For more details on activities in VK please see
      http://www.vhfdx.oz-hams.org/ and then click on Digital Modes.

      73 Rex
      VK7MO

      End of paste....

      I think this is a good procedure for us now. The other day on six meters
      I tried to work K9PO, we did not complete but K4FJW tailended calling
      me. I went back and completed with him on the same frequency and W5SNX
      was calling K9PO on the same frequency. I saw lots of pings from both
      qso's and it worked out fine with no lost / collided pings! So I would
      think for the random hour, until such time as activity makes it
      unbearable, we all try to work on .140 and .270. Like Rex pointed out,
      if two stations are close enough to cause qrm, they can both tx on the
      same sequence? (seems like it ought to work)

      However if anyone is calling U or D indicating they are listening on
      another frequency, you best call them on that frequency or else miss the
      contact. Guess in the end it is the "callers choice" of where he will
      listen.

      I did work KE7NR who was calling CQ on six prior to the random hour and
      heard KD5IUG on six and W5SNX on two meters. I always try to split my
      time between six and two meters, the hour sure passes fast.

      Tip