RE: [wsjtgroup] Random Hour

  • James Choate
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 3, 2003

      Kenneth, I also run the Yaesu FT 847 here with a homebrew 5 element Quagi. I almost always run it "barefoot" on 6 meters and always DO run it barefoot on 2 meters into a 10 element yagi. I have worked stations out to 1300+ miles on 6 meters and have a few 1200 mile Q's on 2 meters.

      I have worked stations on both bands that have only 2 element antenna and run under 40 watts output. It just takes a little longer to complete a sked with lower power.I only run 50 watts output on 2 meters.

      About the comments on the freq display - yes mine is off also on every band EXCEPT 6 meters. You will just have to figure out how much yours is off and on what bands and compensate for it. Example: For me to be on 144.140 my display has to show 144.139.840.

      GL with the digital modes. They are Great!    James KC5OAO

      >--- Randy Tipton wrote:
      > > You asked:" Hi Randy can I ask you what is the minimum station setup
      > > for
      > > a six metre contact ,i have ft 847 5 elem AFT and max output on six .

    • Joe - WDØM
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
        Good morning,

        After hearing lots of signal bursts, I finally discovered that I was
        operating in JT6M, and the signals were in FSK441. No wonder I couldn't
        decode them or get any response! I finally "replayed" the saved files, and
        there was a CQ from NØPB and N5SIX! Sorry I didn't figure it out
        earlier! Hey, I'm a new guy to WSJT, so that's my excuse - wonder how long
        I can cling to that one?

        Anyway, I am thrilled to find that I can receive a signal through WSJT -
        next step is to actually "talk" to someone!

        73,

        Joe
        WDØM
      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
          Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
          curious about. Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
          but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters. My
          question is why? Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
          is it just an inertia thing?

          I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
          JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.

          73, Russ K2TXB

        • Bruce Brackin
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
            Russ - probably a little of both. But it does require sufficient length
            to work and given current conditions, FSK441A usually safer/better bet.

            Joe, WD0M - BTW, you are making the 1000+ mile trip. Called you for
            last 10 min of RH.

            155101 16.3 380 3 1 -19 M CZ WD0M CQ WD0M CY WD0M CQ WD0M CQ WD0

            Bruce, N5SIX
          • Joe - WDØM
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
              Not to worry - I'm easily confused. From reading the WSJT 4.7 User's
              Guide, I just "assumed" that JT6M was the preferred method. What finally
              tipped me off was that the pings sounded different than what I was
              transmitting - that only took 30 minutes to figure out! Once I broke the
              code, and switched to FSK441, I could decode the pings, and there were the
              CQs from NØPB and N5SIX.

              I've subsequently decoded a ping where N5SIX was calling me, but at this
              point, have had no luck in confirming a QSO. I did pick up some great
              pings - one about 5 seconds long. This is gonna be fun!

              73,
              Joe
              WDØM

              At 08:52 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

              >Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
              >curious about. Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
              >but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters. My
              >question is why? Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
              >is it just an inertia thing?
              >
              >I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
              >JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.
              >
              >73, Russ K2TXB

            • Randy Tipton
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005

                Good question Russ. While JT6M rate optimized for six meters here is the problem. It does not decode well
                when pings are short thus FSK441A will decode both short and long width pings. So for new initials I always use
                FSK441A because it will copy both short and long pings and I suppose this has carried over to Random Hour.

                Having said that, I often times try JT6M on six meters for fun but if I am trying to work new initial, state, grid I always
                prefer FSK441A because it copies whatever you hear. (No fun seeing only partial decodes on JT6M when you know
                the ping width was good for FSK441A)

                Since conditions are getting better, almost all rocks heard today during RH were 1 second or longer, maybe we should alternate
                random hour from week to week of something similar to that…

                Not related to your JT6M question but something I noticed today: A few stations are moving too quickly after answering
                a cq. I witnessed one station calling 4 other stations in less than 15 minutes. Random Hour can be very intense, excited
                time for newcomers… When you answer a station, take the time to work him. It could be quick or take 15 – 20 minutes.  Of
                course there will be times you give up but give it a good college try! Ok, off my soapbox…

                Tnx

                Tip

                Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
                curious about.  Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
                but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters.  My
                question is why?  Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
                is it just an inertia thing?

                I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
                JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.

                73, Russ K2TXB

                To unsubscribe, send an email to:

              • George G4PCI
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                  I also have wonder why JT6m is not used more in NA but maybe as the rules
                  to what is a vaild QSO are not the same both sides of the pond
                  e.g no SH messages are never used in Europe

                  I think that in Europe we went with JT6M because  we found it worked
                  better than FSK441 and also the frist few stations running WSJT in Europe
                  prefer JT6M and the rest followed

                  Is there any reason why we do not see a lot of cluster spots from the USA

                   73 George

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                    I've gone back and decoded the saved files from this morning, and here are the stations I copied - after I switched to FSK441:

                    KBØUSF
                    NØPB
                    N5SIX
                    K8EB
                    WA5UFE
                    W0IOK

                    150830  4.9  300  5  3   44     Q N5SIX EM4PO3Q/N5SIX EM42 $Q N5PIX#EN7
                    150830 16.8 3270  8  7  -15     ,3Q N0PB CQ N0PB CQ N0PB CQ N0PB CQ3N PB

                    Thanks for letting me know that I made it to MS, Bruce!  I'll be back next weekend.

                    73,
                    Joe
                    WDØM

                    At 09:09 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

                    Russ - probably a little of both.  But it does require sufficient length
                    to work and given current conditions, FSK441A usually safer/better bet.

                    Joe, WD0M - BTW, you are making the 1000+ mile trip.  Called you for
                    last 10 min of RH.

                    155101 16.3  380  3  1  -19     M CZ WD0M CQ WD0M CY WD0M CQ WD0M CQ WD0

                    Bruce, N5SIX

                    To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Randy Tipton
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005

                      I also have wonder why JT6m is not used more in NA but maybe as the rules

                      to what is a vaild QSO are not the same both sides of the pond

                      e.g no SH messages are never used in Europe

                      In NA we do not use SH Messages during Random Hour. We once experimented with FSK441C
                      and found that it didn’t decode well with short pings during RH. The same is true with JT6M. I find JT6M works well for shorter distances perhaps not always Meteor Scatter but Tropo Scattering. JT6M also good for weak E-Skip openings. (tropo scattering / metero scattering .. hard to tell the
                      difference but JT6M I think better for tropo scatter)

                      I have ran JT6M with distant stations where pings were just too short and after swapping to FSK441A completed the qso. So in Europe, if you are consistently getting partial decodes
                      while attempting a particular contact on distant stations (say over 1000 miles) swap to FSK441A and see if it improves.

                      George, nice to know there is Six Mtr Meteor Scatter operators in EU, I was told it was not popular.

                      Tip

                    • aflowers@frontiernet.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                        If I remember correctly you should be able to decode both modes with
                        manual intervention. If you hear a ping in the opposite mode you can
                        stop, switch modes and hit "decode again". That way you don't miss
                        something in while monitoring in the other mode. Of course, you have to
                        hit "stop" before a new recording period begins, but that should keep
                        you on your toes :-)

                        Andy K0SM/4 (spring break)

                        Quoting Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...>:

                        > Good question Russ. While JT6M rate optimized for six meters here is
                        > the
                        > problem. It does not decode well
                        > when pings are short thus FSK441A will decode both short and long
                        > width
                        > pings. So for new initials I always use
                        > FSK441A because it will copy both short and long pings and I suppose
                        > this has carried over to Random Hour.
                        >
                        > Having said that, I often times try JT6M on six meters for fun but if
                        > am trying to work new initial, state, grid I always
                        > prefer FSK441A because it copies whatever you hear. (No fun seeing
                        > only
                        > partial decodes on JT6M when you know
                        > the ping width was good for FSK441A)
                        >

                        > Since co

                        nditions are getting better, almost all rocks heard today
                        > during
                        > RH were 1 second or longer, maybe we should alternate
                        > random hour from week to week of something similar to that…
                        >

                        > Not related to your JT6M question but something I noticed today: A
                        > few
                        > stations are moving too quickly after answering
                        > a cq. I witnessed one station calling 4 other stations in less than
                        > 15
                        > minutes. Random Hour can be very intense, excited
                        > time for newcomers… When you answer a station, take the time to work
                        > him. It could be quick or take 15 – 20 minutes. Of
                        > course there will be times you give up but give it a good college
                        > try!
                        > Ok, off my soapbox…
                        >

                        > Tnx
                        >
                        > Tip

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299ligbl/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/

                        D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1110729180/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*htt

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
                        > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=706611520>
                        >

                        > _____

                      • N0PB Phil
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                          I knew you would figure it out Joe.. I then later saw you calling me and
                          answered but no luck.
                          We will make it next time.. Good to see you on !!
                          73,
                          Phil N0PB EM39wo Missouri

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                            Hi Phil,

                            Thanks so much for your patience! Took awhile to figure out the new mode -
                            sure is fun! Look forward to seeing you on WSJT again..........

                            73,

                            Joe
                            WDØM
                            DM67kg
                            Pagosa Springs, CO

                            At 06:10 PM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

                            >I knew you would figure it out Joe.. I then later saw you calling me and
                            >answered but no luck.
                            > We will make it next time.. Good to see you on !!
                            >73,
                            >Phil N0PB EM39wo Missouri

                          • N0PB Phil
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                              No problem Joe.. We all start at the same point.. Looks like you got lots of
                              practice today..
                              Hope you had lots of fun..
                              Man I would love to work you on 2 meters !!
                              Of course 6 meters is pretty fun too... Hi Hi
                              73,
                              Phil N0PB

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 17, 2005

                                Thanks to John, Tip, Joe, for organizing and running the contest.  Special thanks to John for the nice certificate.  And thanks to all who operated random to work me.  It's a very nice certificate and I will proudly hang it on the shack wall.

                                Speaking of certificates, the same the HSMS contest one arrived I also received a surprise certificate from the ARRL.  It is for 40 years membership.  That one goes on the wall too!

                                73 All, Russ K2TXB

                              • john@n6enu.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 17, 2005
                                  Quoting Russ K2TXB <k2txb@...>:

                                  > Thanks to John, Tip, Joe, for organizing and running the contest.
                                  > Special
                                  > thanks to John for the nice certificate. And thanks to all who
                                  > operated
                                  > random to work me. It's a very nice certificate and I will proudly
                                  > hang it
                                  > on the shack wall.

                                  You're welcome Russ. There were many more opportunities for others to
                                  capture an award as well. We hope that more will participate and send
                                  in their logs with the next contest.

                                  > Speaking of certificates, the same the HSMS contest one arrived I
                                  > also
                                  > received a surprise certificate from the ARRL. It is for 40 years
                                  > membership. That one goes on the wall too!

                                  Congratulations.

                                  --
                                  John Milligan
                                  N6ENU DM04