Newbie

  • azranger58
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi all, I apologize for these dumb questions: 1. Is the WSJT frequency
      on USB or LSB?; 2. I have read the WSJT 4.7 User's Guide many times,
      and when I adjust signal levels - Setup - Adjust Rx Vol Control - I
      can only get to a (negative) - 2.6, and NOT a "0 dB". Is a -2.6dB
      acceptable? Thanks a bunch, Lee, near Phoenix, Arizona.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        Lee --

        You probably have got answers to your questions already, but just in case:

        1. USB
        2. Yes, a level of -2 dB is probably OK. If you find that you need
        more, though, there are many options. Try the mike input instead of
        line input? Use a step-up transformer (one of those little Radio Shack
        audio transformers?) in the audio line? Use a different output port on
        your radio for the audio? I use the constant-level output on the
        accessory sockets on my TS-2000 and FT-847.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        azranger58 wrote:
        > Hi all, I apologize for these dumb questions: 1. Is the WSJT frequency
        > on USB or LSB?; 2. I have read the WSJT 4.7 User's Guide many times,
        > and when I adjust signal levels - Setup - Adjust Rx Vol Control - I
        > can only get to a (negative) - 2.6, and NOT a "0 dB". Is a -2.6dB
        > acceptable? Thanks a bunch, Lee, near Phoenix, Arizona.

      • DB Medley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22
          I'm a newbie to vhf/uhf and msk144. I'm using moxons for 2m and 6m. After two weeks I don't believe I've received any pings and have not decoded any callsigns. In fact I haven't heard any vhf/uhf signals since obtaining my transceiver. I surmise ssb, cw, and digital work requires high power and high yagi antennas or I would have heard something the past two months.

          My only question here is what does a ping look like? On screen I see a jagged green line and audio is set with some yellowish pixels along with the green line. I am set up as follows. 50.280 15s contest mode checked vhf/uhf checked audio seq checked 1500rx 200 tol. I'm flying blind right now.

          Any advice or input is much appreciated.

          Dave kw4tj
        • Hasan al-Basri
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23
            Dave, nice to meet you on Ping Jockey.

            Here are things that might help:

            You should be using version 1.7.0 r 7405 (that's the current approved general release). If you picked up something else, no matter how 'newer' it is...it may, and likely will have bugs...ones you don't even notice or comprehend.

            Once you have a setup that works,  when you come from any other mode than MSK144:

            Set things up for 6 m MSK144.  Shut down the program, wait a few seconds and restart...lt should come up, just as you closed it, only without some issues I won't go into. If you have configurations saved that work, then this isn't needed, but you must be absolutely sure that all aspects of a saved config are indeed, working, otherwise you end up chasing your tail.

            Ok: Basic Settings/Procedures:

            1. Make sure your band noise is about 35 - 40 dB with slider in the middle. In other words, don't play with slider...set volume from radio.

            2. Settings> General: Check Enable VHF/UHF/Microwave Features

            3. Radio: Split Operation : Fake It (counter-intuitive, but do it for MSK144, it will reduce confusion later)

            4. Set WD Timer to 10 minutes

            Your Receiver:

            Bandwidth Wide: You need at least 2800 Hz (2500 will work, not as well)

            Make sure you can remove your antenna and hear the noise drop significantly. (Rules out poor rx sensitivity or feedline problem)

            At this point (running simplex)

            Rx 1500 Hz

            F Tol 200 (if your green receiving box < 70% and total cpu well under 100)

            Auto Seq: On (checked)

            Tx CQ 280: Not checked

            T/R: 15 s

            If antenna pointed East of N, TX 1st
            If antenna pointed West of N, Tx 2nd
            Sh is OFF for 6 meters

            CLOCK:

            This is very important: Must be dead on. Windows own time sync is not good enough. Many of us use Dimension4 software (free)

            You should be decoding signals.

            Transmit Test:

            Call CQ on 50.280 for a full 10 minute WD Timer Cycle.

            Log on to :

            Set:

            6m Signals Sent/Rx by the Callsign (Yours) Using MSK144 over last 15 minuts

            If, after calling CQ on 50.280 for 10 Minutes (when your WD Timer expires), you don't see several stations on the map reporting you and your signal level, then something is very wrong.

            It might take more than one run at 10 minutes before someone sees/reports you, especially if conditions are rotten.

            You can also change the PSKr settings to:

            the country of the callsign instead of yours and see all the activity on MSK144 on 6m in the last 15 minutes. ...but it is more informative to see what is going on specifically with YOUR callsign.

            This will evaluate your transmitting...are you being heard?

            On Tx'ing...with 100w single tone output (use Tune button), you should see 60 to 70 w out on a wattmeter (average mode, not PEP) when tx'ing MSK144.  Turn up your "playback" level in windows if you aren't seeing enough power out. ALC is not critical like with PSK31. You can have a normal ALC level (mid to high on meter), in MSK144 and you should not be "spattering".

            Hope this helps, good luck with Larry on the phone tonight.

            73, N0AN

            Hasan

            On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:02 PM, DB Medley kdm927@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I'm a newbie to vhf/uhf and msk144. I'm using moxons for 2m and 6m. After two weeks I don't believe I've received any pings and have not decoded any callsigns. In fact I haven't heard any vhf/uhf signals since obtaining my transceiver. I surmise ssb, cw, and digital work requires high power and high yagi antennas or I would have heard something the past two months.

            My only question here is what does a ping look like? On screen I see a jagged green line and audio is set with some yellowish pixels along with the green line. I am set up as follows. 50.280 15s contest mode checked vhf/uhf checked audio seq checked 1500rx 200 tol. I'm flying blind right now.

            Any advice or input is much appreciated.

            Dave kw4tj

          • Gary McDuffie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23
              > On Jan 23, 2017, at 5:26 AM, Hasan al-Basri hbasri.schiers6@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > 1. Make sure your band noise is about 35 - 40 dB with slider in the middle. In other words, don't play with slider...set volume from radio.

              Actually, a noise setting of 30 is recommended (by Joe-author of the software) to properly place the signal in the programs DSP or A/D conversion system. Same is said for the settings slider, about mid scale on the control to allow adequate head-room on both ends of the scale. I have to run a little less than half because the radio’s internal menu setting for output level won’t go lower than it is now to provide 30 noise setting, but it works very well.

              The transmit level is normally adjusted to maximum, but can be brought down some if you don’t have enough control with the rig’s input, which is often a menu setting in modern rigs. The newer rigs are nice in that they allow different settings for input and output audio for different ports (USB, RS-232, spkr).

              Be sure your rig is VERY close to being on the correct frequency. If you are more than 50Hz off, some stations will not decode you. It depends on their Ftol setting, which you want to be as wide as your computer will allow you to run for a DEEP decode setting. In lesser computers, Deep decode and wide Ftol will overload the cpu and you won’t get anywhere. SH checked will also overload it. Run Ftol as wide (200) as your processor will allow you to run with DEEP decode checked in the dropdown. If it goes red during any part of the 15 second cycle with no incoming signal, you need to lower Ftol. It will flash into red during strong incoming signals, so watch that.

              Use the NB to kill static pops, and do NOT use any DSP on receive. Depending on the radio, you may or may not need to have AGC turned off. Some rigs actually change the no-input noise levels when you turn AGC on and off (Flex, according to at least one owner). Some rigs do not change the no-input level (Kenwood). Minor noise level adjustments (noisy antenna directions, etc.) can be made with the RF gain, as long as you aren’t affecting an actual receiver sensitivity adjustment by doing so.

              Good luck and look for us on PingJockey Central.

              Gary - AG0N
            • Gary McDuffie
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 23
                > On Jan 23, 2017, at 5:26 AM, Hasan al-Basri hbasri.schiers6@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                > 50.280 15s contest mode checked

                Turn contest mode off unless you are in an ARRL contest where you exchange grids only.

                Gary