RE: [wsjtgroup] Random Hour

  • Arthur Jackson
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 3, 2003
      I second Randy's comment Kenneth.

      May add I my experiences.
      If you can hear them, you can work them. If you don't hear them, you
      don't have propagation.

      Be sure your check your frequency calibation of the FT847. I have a
      complete Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF station here and not one of them displays the
      correct frequency. And, they are off different for each band!!

      Good luck and have fun.
      Art KA5DWI

      --- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
      > You asked:" Hi Randy can I ask you what is the minimum station setup
      > for
      > a six metre contact ,i have ft 847 5 elem AFT and max output on six .
    • James Choate
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 3, 2003

        Kenneth, I also run the Yaesu FT 847 here with a homebrew 5 element Quagi. I almost always run it "barefoot" on 6 meters and always DO run it barefoot on 2 meters into a 10 element yagi. I have worked stations out to 1300+ miles on 6 meters and have a few 1200 mile Q's on 2 meters.

        I have worked stations on both bands that have only 2 element antenna and run under 40 watts output. It just takes a little longer to complete a sked with lower power.I only run 50 watts output on 2 meters.

        About the comments on the freq display - yes mine is off also on every band EXCEPT 6 meters. You will just have to figure out how much yours is off and on what bands and compensate for it. Example: For me to be on 144.140 my display has to show 144.139.840.

        GL with the digital modes. They are Great!    James KC5OAO

        >--- Randy Tipton wrote:
        > > You asked:" Hi Randy can I ask you what is the minimum station setup
        > > for
        > > a six metre contact ,i have ft 847 5 elem AFT and max output on six .

      • Joe - WDØM
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
          Good morning,

          After hearing lots of signal bursts, I finally discovered that I was
          operating in JT6M, and the signals were in FSK441. No wonder I couldn't
          decode them or get any response! I finally "replayed" the saved files, and
          there was a CQ from NØPB and N5SIX! Sorry I didn't figure it out
          earlier! Hey, I'm a new guy to WSJT, so that's my excuse - wonder how long
          I can cling to that one?

          Anyway, I am thrilled to find that I can receive a signal through WSJT -
          next step is to actually "talk" to someone!

          73,

          Joe
          WDØM
        • Russ K2TXB
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
            Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
            curious about. Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
            but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters. My
            question is why? Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
            is it just an inertia thing?

            I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
            JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.

            73, Russ K2TXB

          • Bruce Brackin
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
              Russ - probably a little of both. But it does require sufficient length
              to work and given current conditions, FSK441A usually safer/better bet.

              Joe, WD0M - BTW, you are making the 1000+ mile trip. Called you for
              last 10 min of RH.

              155101 16.3 380 3 1 -19 M CZ WD0M CQ WD0M CY WD0M CQ WD0M CQ WD0

              Bruce, N5SIX
            • Joe - WDØM
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                Not to worry - I'm easily confused. From reading the WSJT 4.7 User's
                Guide, I just "assumed" that JT6M was the preferred method. What finally
                tipped me off was that the pings sounded different than what I was
                transmitting - that only took 30 minutes to figure out! Once I broke the
                code, and switched to FSK441, I could decode the pings, and there were the
                CQs from NØPB and N5SIX.

                I've subsequently decoded a ping where N5SIX was calling me, but at this
                point, have had no luck in confirming a QSO. I did pick up some great
                pings - one about 5 seconds long. This is gonna be fun!

                73,
                Joe
                WDØM

                At 08:52 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

                >Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
                >curious about. Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
                >but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters. My
                >question is why? Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
                >is it just an inertia thing?
                >
                >I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
                >JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.
                >
                >73, Russ K2TXB

              • Randy Tipton
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005

                  Good question Russ. While JT6M rate optimized for six meters here is the problem. It does not decode well
                  when pings are short thus FSK441A will decode both short and long width pings. So for new initials I always use
                  FSK441A because it will copy both short and long pings and I suppose this has carried over to Random Hour.

                  Having said that, I often times try JT6M on six meters for fun but if I am trying to work new initial, state, grid I always
                  prefer FSK441A because it copies whatever you hear. (No fun seeing only partial decodes on JT6M when you know
                  the ping width was good for FSK441A)

                  Since conditions are getting better, almost all rocks heard today during RH were 1 second or longer, maybe we should alternate
                  random hour from week to week of something similar to that…

                  Not related to your JT6M question but something I noticed today: A few stations are moving too quickly after answering
                  a cq. I witnessed one station calling 4 other stations in less than 15 minutes. Random Hour can be very intense, excited
                  time for newcomers… When you answer a station, take the time to work him. It could be quick or take 15 – 20 minutes.  Of
                  course there will be times you give up but give it a good college try! Ok, off my soapbox…

                  Tnx

                  Tip

                  Hey all you six guys - Joe's confusion on mode brings up a point I am
                  curious about.  Joe, K1JT, has mentioned that JT6M caught on well in Europe,
                  but in this country most everyone operates FSK441 on six meters.  My
                  question is why?  Have you tried JT6M and found it to be somehow lacking, or
                  is it just an inertia thing?

                  I'm not surprised that a newcomer would think that they should listen with
                  JT6M on six meters - I would think that too if I didn't already know better.

                  73, Russ K2TXB

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                • George G4PCI
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                    I also have wonder why JT6m is not used more in NA but maybe as the rules
                    to what is a vaild QSO are not the same both sides of the pond
                    e.g no SH messages are never used in Europe

                    I think that in Europe we went with JT6M because  we found it worked
                    better than FSK441 and also the frist few stations running WSJT in Europe
                    prefer JT6M and the rest followed

                    Is there any reason why we do not see a lot of cluster spots from the USA

                     73 George

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                      I've gone back and decoded the saved files from this morning, and here are the stations I copied - after I switched to FSK441:

                      KBØUSF
                      NØPB
                      N5SIX
                      K8EB
                      WA5UFE
                      W0IOK

                      150830  4.9  300  5  3   44     Q N5SIX EM4PO3Q/N5SIX EM42 $Q N5PIX#EN7
                      150830 16.8 3270  8  7  -15     ,3Q N0PB CQ N0PB CQ N0PB CQ N0PB CQ3N PB

                      Thanks for letting me know that I made it to MS, Bruce!  I'll be back next weekend.

                      73,
                      Joe
                      WDØM

                      At 09:09 AM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

                      Russ - probably a little of both.  But it does require sufficient length
                      to work and given current conditions, FSK441A usually safer/better bet.

                      Joe, WD0M - BTW, you are making the 1000+ mile trip.  Called you for
                      last 10 min of RH.

                      155101 16.3  380  3  1  -19     M CZ WD0M CQ WD0M CY WD0M CQ WD0M CQ WD0

                      Bruce, N5SIX

                      To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Randy Tipton
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005

                        I also have wonder why JT6m is not used more in NA but maybe as the rules

                        to what is a vaild QSO are not the same both sides of the pond

                        e.g no SH messages are never used in Europe

                        In NA we do not use SH Messages during Random Hour. We once experimented with FSK441C
                        and found that it didn’t decode well with short pings during RH. The same is true with JT6M. I find JT6M works well for shorter distances perhaps not always Meteor Scatter but Tropo Scattering. JT6M also good for weak E-Skip openings. (tropo scattering / metero scattering .. hard to tell the
                        difference but JT6M I think better for tropo scatter)

                        I have ran JT6M with distant stations where pings were just too short and after swapping to FSK441A completed the qso. So in Europe, if you are consistently getting partial decodes
                        while attempting a particular contact on distant stations (say over 1000 miles) swap to FSK441A and see if it improves.

                        George, nice to know there is Six Mtr Meteor Scatter operators in EU, I was told it was not popular.

                        Tip

                      • aflowers@frontiernet.net
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                          If I remember correctly you should be able to decode both modes with
                          manual intervention. If you hear a ping in the opposite mode you can
                          stop, switch modes and hit "decode again". That way you don't miss
                          something in while monitoring in the other mode. Of course, you have to
                          hit "stop" before a new recording period begins, but that should keep
                          you on your toes :-)

                          Andy K0SM/4 (spring break)

                          Quoting Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...>:

                          > Good question Russ. While JT6M rate optimized for six meters here is
                          > the
                          > problem. It does not decode well
                          > when pings are short thus FSK441A will decode both short and long
                          > width
                          > pings. So for new initials I always use
                          > FSK441A because it will copy both short and long pings and I suppose
                          > this has carried over to Random Hour.
                          >
                          > Having said that, I often times try JT6M on six meters for fun but if
                          > am trying to work new initial, state, grid I always
                          > prefer FSK441A because it copies whatever you hear. (No fun seeing
                          > only
                          > partial decodes on JT6M when you know
                          > the ping width was good for FSK441A)
                          >

                          > Since co

                          nditions are getting better, almost all rocks heard today
                          > during
                          > RH were 1 second or longer, maybe we should alternate
                          > random hour from week to week of something similar to that…
                          >

                          > Not related to your JT6M question but something I noticed today: A
                          > few
                          > stations are moving too quickly after answering
                          > a cq. I witnessed one station calling 4 other stations in less than
                          > 15
                          > minutes. Random Hour can be very intense, excited
                          > time for newcomers… When you answer a station, take the time to work
                          > him. It could be quick or take 15 – 20 minutes. Of
                          > course there will be times you give up but give it a good college
                          > try!
                          > Ok, off my soapbox…
                          >

                          > Tnx
                          >
                          > Tip

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299ligbl/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/

                          D=groups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1110729180/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*htt

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
                          > s/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=706611520>
                          >

                          > _____

                        • N0PB Phil
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                            I knew you would figure it out Joe.. I then later saw you calling me and
                            answered but no luck.
                            We will make it next time.. Good to see you on !!
                            73,
                            Phil N0PB EM39wo Missouri

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                              Hi Phil,

                              Thanks so much for your patience! Took awhile to figure out the new mode -
                              sure is fun! Look forward to seeing you on WSJT again..........

                              73,

                              Joe
                              WDØM
                              DM67kg
                              Pagosa Springs, CO

                              At 06:10 PM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

                              >I knew you would figure it out Joe.. I then later saw you calling me and
                              >answered but no luck.
                              > We will make it next time.. Good to see you on !!
                              >73,
                              >Phil N0PB EM39wo Missouri

                            • N0PB Phil
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 12, 2005
                                No problem Joe.. We all start at the same point.. Looks like you got lots of
                                practice today..
                                Hope you had lots of fun..
                                Man I would love to work you on 2 meters !!
                                Of course 6 meters is pretty fun too... Hi Hi
                                73,
                                Phil N0PB

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 17, 2005

                                  Thanks to John, Tip, Joe, for organizing and running the contest.  Special thanks to John for the nice certificate.  And thanks to all who operated random to work me.  It's a very nice certificate and I will proudly hang it on the shack wall.

                                  Speaking of certificates, the same the HSMS contest one arrived I also received a surprise certificate from the ARRL.  It is for 40 years membership.  That one goes on the wall too!

                                  73 All, Russ K2TXB

                                • john@n6enu.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 17, 2005
                                    Quoting Russ K2TXB <k2txb@...>:

                                    > Thanks to John, Tip, Joe, for organizing and running the contest.
                                    > Special
                                    > thanks to John for the nice certificate. And thanks to all who
                                    > operated
                                    > random to work me. It's a very nice certificate and I will proudly
                                    > hang it
                                    > on the shack wall.

                                    You're welcome Russ. There were many more opportunities for others to
                                    capture an award as well. We hope that more will participate and send
                                    in their logs with the next contest.

                                    > Speaking of certificates, the same the HSMS contest one arrived I
                                    > also
                                    > received a surprise certificate from the ARRL. It is for 40 years
                                    > membership. That one goes on the wall too!

                                    Congratulations.

                                    --
                                    John Milligan
                                    N6ENU DM04